Chapter One

This is docket O-20183904 in the case of Owen Grady and Claire Dearing vs. International Genetics Incorporated for the custody of Maisie Lockwood.

Claire squeezed her fists under the table and forced herself not to run her sweaty palms over her sleek black skirt. The last time I dressed this nice, I was almost eaten by a dinosaur, she thought as she took a second to glance down at her outfit. Their court hearing required something a bit fancier than the casual pants and t-shirts she started wearing after Jurassic World went to hell.

"I'll admit, this is an unusual case," the judge said, bringing Claire out of her daydream. Owen stood tall beside her. She was glad to have him there. Her hand creeped to the right until it met his and held on tight. Claire was still getting used to the idea that she could hold his hand now that they'd decided to give coupledom a third try. Going through another traumatic incident together solidified their rocky relationship. "There is no precedent for the custody of a... well, of a clone. I suppose this is the world we live in now."

Owen squeezed Claire's hand beneath the table. After Lockwood's death and the incident at his estate, all of his assets were seized. This included the information surrounding Maisie's existence. As soon as it was out, there was no putting it back in the box. Owen and Claire new they'd have to fight to keep Maisie, they just didn't think it would be against InGen.

"Your honor, InGen has proprietary ownership over the science used to create the clone sitting before you. It is imperative that they are given custody of the child," the leach defending InGen told the judge. If Owen hadn't been standing between her and the plaintiff, Claire would have jumped across the room to claw out his eyes. How dare he talk about Maisie like she's some kind of science experiment? She's a child!

"We would like to enter into evidence the sequence required to clone a human being which was developed by InGen thirty years ago."

The judge accepted the pile of papers with disinterest. "This means nothing to me. I'm a judge, not a geneticist."

The lawyer looked smug. "We have brought one of the world's most respected geneticists along to explain the information in that folder. Dr. Henry Wu is actually responsible for much of the cloning done by InGen."

Owen and Claire shared a look. The last thing they expected was for Dr. Wu to testify against them. He was supposed to be hiding out until the dust settled and humans got used to dinosaurs roaming the streets of the United States. A month had passed since the incident at the Lockwood Estate, but the US population had not yet learned how to cohabitate with the de-extinct creatures. Neither Owen nor Claire were sure they ever would.

Dr. Wu was sworn in and allowed to describe his scientific discoveries. He avoided eye contact with Owen, Claire, and Maisie seated quietly behind them. What was he so worried about? That if he allowed himself to look at the faces of the people he ruined, he might suddenly grow a conscience? Not likely.

After the testimony, the judge looked slightly less disinterested than before. "Your Honor, Maisie Lockwood is a clone of Mr. Lockwood's late daughter. We are not here to dispute this fact. However, does that mean she should be subjected to scientific experimentation?"

"Objection!" the vile lawyer from the other side yelled out. "Conjecture. The defense has no way of knowing what InGen plans to do with Maisie."

The judge all but rolled her eyes. "InGen just had a scientist explain to the court how Maisie was created. I think it's safe to assume we all know what the company plans on doing with the young girl. Overruled."