Chapter 3: Meeting

No warnings, unless you count exposition, have fun~

***

A pencil idly scratched away on a piece of paper. The boney hand attached to the pencil paused, its owner pushing up the brown hat blocking his eye sockets and taking in the scenery before him. He smiled at the serenity it radiated.

Palette originally moved out here because of the beautiful sceneries that made for plenty of gorgeous art opportunities. It was the best decision he ever made.

The waterfall tossing up flecks of water a distance away was one such wonder. A small ring of white flowers lined the edges of the pond below and some shiny fishes were just barely visible from his sitting position. It was truly a sight the artist had to get on paper. One that he hoped would sell for a lot of money. 

I have to pay for my electricity and the goods not available in a wooded area somehow.

The skeleton had already made a name for himself in the town an hour out from his home, so it wasn't hard to find a willing customer during the times he occasionally decided to go to market. A nice old lady in town had even been willing to provide materials for a stand whenever the need arose.

All in all, I'm pretty well off.

His mom was skeptical about him living by himself so far away from civilization, but Palette rather enjoyed it.

It's calm and peaceful, perfect for concentrating on my craft. I really don't mind not having constant interaction with people.

As much as his mother lamented their son never settling down with that special someone due to the isolation, he just couldn't bring himself to be interested in romance. Not when there was so much beauty to capture on paper.

Bringing his pencil back down to the sketchpad, a present from his dad on his tenth birthday seven years ago, the monster sketched the outer edges of the pond, noting how the grass peeking through the flowers drooped over toward the water. A gentle wind occasionally blew on the blades, dipping them into the pond and creating ripples the fish would flock to in hopes of a meal.

Truly a peaceful scene.

As Palette proceeded to sketch the creatures inside the pond, a noise in the distance piqued his interest.

It sounded like a grunt. Is someone else out here? It certainly doesn't sound like any animal I know.

Tucking his sketchbook and art supplies into his leather messenger bag, he hoisted the bag onto his shoulder and went to investigate the sound. A pained groan to his left confirmed his direction, quickening his steps. 

There was a huge bush that way. Whatever had made the noise came from behind there. Pulling aside the foliage, the artist was shocked to find a skeleton laying on the ground.

"Woah," Palette gasped, stepping through the brush and jogging over to the body. He turned them onto their back, checking their vitals.

The stranger was breathing, so that was a good sign. On the other hand, they were definitely sporting a couple unsettling marks on their arms, legs, and skull. That, combined with their state of dress, made the skeleton frown. 

Who are they? In any case, I can't leave them on the ground.

Grabbing their shoulders, he carefully pulled the unconscious monster into a sitting position.

"Let's get you somewhere more comfortable," the artist muttered, pulling their arms over his shoulders until their body was draped across his back. Leaving the arms to dangle against his chest, he linked his hand together underneath them, standing up slowly.

 Leaving the arms to dangle against his chest, he linked his hand together underneath them, standing up slowly

They're too light... I feel like they should be heavier.

Once he assured his bag wouldn't fall off his shoulder, Palette began his trek toward home, the strange newcomer in tow.

***

And here we go~