Chapter 7: Outing (Yourself)

Some people aren't bothered by it, but I know there are some people that get squicked out by injury descriptions (I'm okay as long as it's not described in gory detail or I don't physically see it), so mind the warnings if stuff like that bothers you~

Chapter Warnings: Serious injury, Blood (Marrow?)

***

Since the three men visited, Goth had become anxious once more.

Palette attempted to distract him with learning about the different objects around the house and learning to read and write. He was pretty quick at learning the names of objects, but reading and writing was a slow process.

By the end of the second week, he'd only managed to learn to read his own name and Palette's name but he was ecstatic nonetheless. The artist made sure to praise his efforts. Encouragement would lead to progression, after all, and everyone had to start somewhere.

Goth was also progressing rapidly in properly wording his sentences as well as expanding his vocabulary, only making a mistake on occasion. He would even pull out a big word every so often, citing that he heard the bad people use it.

At the start of the third week, the small skeleton inquired about the objects outside. Palette surmised it was time for a field trip... a small one. There was no telling if the men were still poking around.

Stepping out the front door, Goth jumped at the feel of the grass on his bare feet and the wind blowing at his oversized shirt. He wiggled his toes, his socket growing wide and a smile beginning to creep along his face.

The next half hour was a repetition of 'what's this?' while Palette busied himself with weeding the garden and picking the ripe vegetables. It had been a while since he'd tended to it or gathered food. Having another mouth to feed was depleting his supplies faster than normal, so he would need to head into town soon.

I don't think Goth would do well with crowds... would I be able to leave him here alone?

Eventually, the inquiries led to a large apple tree. Once Goth learned the apples could be eaten, there was no stopping him from climbing the tree.

Chuckling, Palette went to go get another basket since the one he had was full of vegetables.

By the time he got back, the small skeleton was already a third of the way up the tree. It was actually pretty amazing how good he was at climbing. He was like a little monkey!

Goth picked the apples Palette instructed were the ripe ones and tossed them down... it was a much more efficient system than doing it by himself, where Palette would haul the basket around with him. This method proved much faster at gathering food.

As he climbed higher and higher, Palette began to grow worried about the strength of the branches.

The artist gasped when one bent under the smaller's weight, "Wait, stop-"

His soul stuttered as the limb snapped, sending Goth and the branch plummeting to the ground with a yelp. Before Palette could even move, Goth hit the ground, letting out a gut-wrenching scream.

The branch that had given way landed first, lodging itself in Goth's chest and through his back once he followed, a thin rod dripping red to match his scarf.

"Oh... Oh, stars...," Palette murmured frantically, unsure of what to do.

I know basic first aid, but nothing about impalement! The nearest hospital's more than an hour away, he won't-

"T... take...," Goth wheezed, coughing a light spray of marrow into the grass and catching the other skeleton's attention.

"What is it?" Palette urged, kneeling down.