Chapter two: Oh Boy

Mornings weren't your strong suit.

Sure that could be a vast understatement, considering there was now a dent in the wall where you chucked your alarm with such force it woke up the neighbor. And sure it could be a bit underselling it, what with the now murderous intent plastered all over your face apologizing to the dumpster goblin that is the old lady that lives next door. But mornings will be mornings, so you walked back into your empty apartment wanting a cup of coffee and some decent food. Upon opening the fridge, however, you found neither. Great. You groaned, letting a bit of your soul escape in the process, and opted to just go get some damn groceries. With a scowl and a sweatshirt, you left your empty, empty apartment.

The current theme of the day must have been: Annoy (Y/n) at all costs since things have been going well so far. First, the barista refuses to give you your order because, "kids should not be drinking coffee", then out of nowhere it starts pouring rain, and finally, the umbrella you miraculously brought (on accident of course) decides it's their time to leave the mortal realm and rips completely. F in the chat.

The attempt to seek shelter is successful and you find an awning of a comic book store to chill until mother nature calms the fuck down. The owner is inside and notices you just waiting out the rain, the depressing umbrella in hand. He walked over to the door and gestured for you to come in and with no better option you walk inside the warm shop, taking in the surroundings. The store is almost entirely comprised of bookshelves, walnut in color. Stocked to the brim with the bright pages of heroes and villains, much to your distaste. Among other knick-knacks and decorations was a small chair leaning against a shelf. You fold it out and situate yourself for what was probably gonna be a long storm.

"Thank you, I was getting pretty cold out there," You said to the store owner. He chuckled and replied, "It wasn't that much of a problem, just don't be out in the rain next time and you're set, kid." He was an older gentleman, with salt and pepper hair and large circle rimmed glasses. His face creased when he smiled and the sincere look he gave you filled you with some sort of parental warmth. He sat back and picked up some nameless comic when you decided that you would find something to entertain yourself with.

All of the pages and pages of writings displayed the same shtick, the hero defeats the villain, good vs evil. Finally, your eyes settled on a thin paperback comic, with a woman on the front in a doctor's coat. Her outfit had no neon or cape, no makeup, or done-up hair. It was just her with a patient by her side and a smile on her face. You grabbed the comic and flipped through the chapters. It was an educational booklet marketed to quirkless kids who wanted to be a superhero with no super. It was amusing, gazing at the pages, and seeing yourself in her shoes. Your attention diverted over to the store bell ringing, where a small kid with bright green hair walked in with his parent.

You shrugged and went back to your reading, the little kid's chirpy voice drowning out whatever focus you had. You sighed for what was probably the 76th time and walked over to the shopkeeper.

"I wanna buy this," you said, putting some money on the counter. He gave a grin and pushed it back. "on the house little lady, just pitch in a good name for my business and that'll be all". He was radiating positive energy and even if you would normally repulse at the thought, you needed it today. You gave him the slightest of smiles and thanked him for the book.

The walk home was long and wet, and these stupid groceries were too heavy. You thought of the nice old man from the comic book store and calmed yourself down. 'It been a while since I met such a sweet person' you thought. The keys to your apartment dangled in your pocket as you strut down the alley. You lived in some run-down apartment building off the main road, a little out of the way. Even though you could see the nice hero houses across the street.

You stopped in your tracks. They're sitting right next to your front door was a kid, maybe your age. He had bright red hair and a skinny frame but that wasn't why you stopped. It looked like he was wearing a sheered lambskin, his arms, face, neck, and even his torso covered in deep purple burns. You knelt to the boy, putting your groceries down on the stairs. He was breathing but barely, and as far as you could tell he was out cold. You weighed your options then and sighed. For him to get the proper treatment he needs emergency services now, or else the burns can become infected.

Hoisting the kid from your front porch stair, you dragged him inside your house rather elegantly. He now laid sprawled out on your living room floor while were heaving from the unexpected physical exercise. You pulled yourself together and dragged him up onto the couth, making sure all of his afflicted limbs were above the heart to prevent any more heat. It was time for research and you started your quirk, eyes going white. After gathering what you needed, you hurried over to the bathroom to run a cold bath, filled with ice. Next, you dug through the cupboards and found the antibiotic ointment and bandages, non-stick of course.

Now with the bath finished and medicines prepared you further assessed the patient. He had discolored third-degree burns ranging from his face to his arms, even extending down his neck. Thankfully the muscle and bone hadn't been afflicted but the entire epidermis had been charred. It was even pulling apart from the body and at that point, the skin could never fully heal. You had to make a decision of whether or not to keep the skin as is or decide to staple it back to the healthy parts. Without the consent of the patient. Oh boy.