chapter 21

Newt holds my hand tighter and pulls me closer to him. He backs away from the maze door, pulling me with him.

"Everyone find shelter!" Minho yelled, running towards the medical center. Newt and I follow behind. He lets as many people as he can inside, before closing the door and putting a table against it. Newt drags me upstairs and into the room I had slept in earlier. I sit on the bed and look down at my hand still wrapped in Newts. His grip was making it hurt and it was starting to turn red. I try to loosen his grip, but it was no use, he was stronger than me.

"Newt," I said softly. He turned to look at me. "You're hurting me." I look down at our hands and he let go.

"Oh, I'm sorry," he said looking at my red hand as I start to massage it. He grabs my hand again and massages it.

We hear the grievers fighting to get in downstairs and tearing the building apart. I hear screams outside from those that didn't make it inside in time. I cover my ears with my hands and shut my eyes tightly, wishing it was a dream. Thomas and Minho joined us in the room along with Teresa.

"They're climbing onto the roof now," Thomas said. "I don't know if we'll be safe here until morning comes and they leave." That's when I heard the clicking and clinking of the grievers on the roof.

I slid off the bed and went to sit down in a corner, I somehow always felt safer in corners. Newt got off the bed and sat next to me, wrapping me in his arms. I rested my head on his shoulder.

After a few minutes of the grieves hitting the roof, it became quiet. The screams from outside stopped and all I could hear was Newt breathing. I felt calm and closed my eyes. I heard Teresa starting to snore on the bed, despite being attacked she fell asleep. As my head started to droop, Newt grabbed it and placed it on his shoulder. I could feel him smiling uncontrollably as he kissed my forehead.

"You really love her, don't you?" Thomas asked, thinking I was asleep.

"Yeah, I really do," Newt responded. "She's everything to me and I can't imagine life without her." I couldn't help but smile. I somehow managed to capture the British boy's heart and I was happier than ever.

"That's shucking adorable," Minho said as Gally came running in, furious and ruined the moment.

"What the hell, Thomas?!" He exclaimed. "This wouldn't happen to be your fault, would it?"

"Why would this be Thomas's fault?" Minho asked. "What has he done for you to at hate him so much?"

"Things have been changing after you three showed up. So, you can't really blame me for suspecting them," Gally said. "Thomas is also a runner, how do we know he's not doing something out in the maze and you're just covering for him? The grievers took Jack and left. What if they come back and takes someone else? What if they just keep coming until there's none of us left? Someone has to be responsible."

"Leave him alone Gally," I said removing my head from Newt's shoulder. "All he's trying to do is help us escape. It's been three years and it seems to be that he's the only one who is doing anything and is getting closer to figuring it out."

"Actually," Thomas said, hesitantly. "Minho and I might have found a way out." This got everyone's attention, even those in the other rooms.

*END OF CHAPTER 21*