Chapter 1 - Part 2

I kept my features schooled despite my heart beating erratically. I knew what that meant and there was no way to avoid it. I hurried, needing to hide away for a few minutes to soothe over my unwanted array of feelings so I could face Daniel again with a clear mind.

He was sharp and didn't miss much. But I needed to keep him from searching deeper and asking questions that I didn't want to answer.

Inside the privacy of the restroom, I surveyed my perfectly groomed reflection. My mascara-thickened eyelashes framed my blue eyes. The makeup made me look much older than I was. There wasn't a hair out of place in my straightened black hair. My natural color was lighter but I liked it dark. I reapplied my lipstick before I took a moment to regroup myself before I went back to face Daniel.

While I surveyed my reflection I reminded myself of how far I had come and how determined I was not to slip back into the life I had left behind. I had clawed my way out of the gutter and I would rather die than go back.

I checked the time on my watch. I had been gone for six minutes already. Straightening up and pushing my shoulders back slightly, I took a quick breath before I left.

It didn't take long for my eyes to spot the tall, domineering presence of Daniel. He was dancing with a female whom he had been talking to before I had left. I waited on the sidelines, trying to keep myself from looking for Connor. The urge to slide my gaze over the crowd was difficult to resist but I did. I was in enough trouble already.

Even though there was a smile on Daniel's face when his eyes met mine, I could see it didn't reach his eyes.

"Riley," a warm voice beside me said. The sound of the distinct male voice sent a ripple of awareness up my spine as I turned slightly to look into Connor's familiar face.

The impact of him was stronger up close. I felt myself hold my breath for a moment when his eyes held mine. I forced myself to release the breath that had stuck in my lungs.

"Mr. Price," I replied back, keeping my interaction with him formal. I turned my attention back to the dance floor. Daniel was talking to his dance partner.

I would have to get rid of Connor before I caught Daniel's attention again. Seeing me with Connor would only compound his belief that I was hiding more.

"I haven't seen you at one of these before," he said conversationally.

I frowned slightly, keeping my gaze fixed on Daniel. "I've never been invited before."

"Yes, I see you were accompanied by Daniel Spencer."

I didn't have the time or patience to play games. I wanted to glare at him but I stopped myself. If Daniel saw me interacting with him it would only make things worse. I couldn't allow that to happen.

"Mr. Price, I know you've been digging into my life so I know you're aware of my connection to Daniel."

Why couldn't he just leave me alone? I watched as Daniel led his partner skillfully, showing off years of practice. He'd once tried to teach me to dance but I had two left feet and after standing on his toes a couple of times he'd given up. Patience wasn't one of his strong points. It wasn't what attracted me to him.

"How well do you know Daniel?" His question was strange and I gave him a side glance before I even thought about the repercussions.

"That's none of your business, Mr. Price." I was firm in drawing the line I didn't want him to cross. "You don't know me and I don't know you. There's no need to make conversation. I'm sure there's someone here who would love to talk to you but I'm not that person."

He was quiet for a few moments as he studied me, trying to read what I didn't want anyone to see.

"I'd like to offer you the ad campaign I interviewed you for."

I was already shaking my head. His offer came with too many strings.

"No, thank you, Mr. Price," I answered. I had to keep my distance from him.

At that moment Daniel looked across the room and I felt the force of his stare when he took in Connor standing beside me.

"Please, leave me alone," I said stiffly, feeling nervous now that I could feel the heat of Daniel's eyes on us.

"I made a mistake."

My eyes shot to his.

He gave a slight inclination of his head. "You aren't the girl we were looking for. My investigator mixed you up with someone else."

His revelation left me speechless. It made no sense. Of course I was the person he was looking for. I used to be Shannon Graves.

I eyed him suspiciously. I didn't trust anyone. The only person I could depend on was myself. I had learned that valuable lesson early in life.

"So you're offering me the job as an apology?" I asked sharply, not liking that either.

Every job I had, I'd earned on my merit as a model. I didn't want a job because he felt bad for confronting me about an identity he now believed had been mistaken about.

"No." He shook his head. "You have the look we want."

I fixed my eyes back on my date, who was still watching us. The way Daniel held my gaze left me with no doubt I would suffer the full force of his anger later.

"I'd like you to consider my offer. You know it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. It would raise your profile to a whole new level and you would be able to demand whatever you wanted."

His words pulled at the girl in me who was still trying to find the financial security I had never had before. I made money but I had to work hard for every job I got. His offer was so tempting but I couldn't trust his intentions.

Daniel's narrowed gaze remained on us as I tried to think of a way to get rid of Connor.

"Here's my business card." He shoved the card into my hand and I wrapped my fingers around it.

I wanted to crumple it up and throw it back at him but that would cause a scene. It would only make Daniel angrier. So, instead of doing what I wanted, I accepted the card and nodded to him.

"I won't do the job." I had already made up my mind. It wasn't my fault he didn't like the answer I was giving him.

In his world I bet not many people refused him.

"Don't make any hasty decisions. Take some time to think about it and give me a call when you've made a decision."

I looked down at the business card that only held his name and number.

"It's my private number."

That set off the alarm bells in my mind again. Danger.

"Fine. I'll think about it," I told him. I wanted him to go and if the only way to get rid of him was to make him believe there was a real possibility I would consider the offer, then I would let him think that.

"Have a good evening," he murmured before leaving me on my own.

I had finally gotten rid of him.

The song came to an end and before I'd had time to recover, Daniel strode over to me. The urge to run and hide was instinctual but I did neither. Instead I allowed him to grip my wrist painfully, and without another word he pulled me toward the entrance of the hall.

I hurried to keep up with his long strides, hoping no one would notice the undercurrent between us.