Chapter 5 - Part 1

I refused to look at the doctor or Jacob again.

"It'll only take a few minutes," Connor added. He cocked his head to the side as his eyes held mine. "He needs to check you over."

He was someone who was used to getting what he wanted, but I wouldn't allow him to steamroll me into something I didn't want to do.

Besides, I didn't want their sympathy when they saw all the bruises. It was baring a part of my inner soul to strangers, to judge and jury. They didn't understand what Daniel had meant to me or why it had been so important for me to keep him in my life.

A sense of loss unraveled in my chest and I felt the sting of tears but I swallowed hard, refusing to give in to the need to cry.

It was then I realized I was still only half dressed in my underwear and top. I pulled the shirt down, trying to cover myself up. Connor noticed.

"Jacob, I need you to wait outside," he instructed. Jacob followed his instruction, closing the bedroom door behind him. "Do you want me to leave while Dr. Howard examines you?"

My eyes drifted from his to the doctor still waiting patiently behind him. He gave me an encouraging smile but I was distrustful of most people.

I shook my head, stubbornly refusing to give in. "I don't need a doctor."

Couldn't they just leave me alone? Three people who witnessed the result of Daniel's anger were three people too many.

"I told you, it's either him or the hospital." Connor's tone was hard and unwavering. He wasn't going to let me get out of this. I held his gaze, knowing he wasn't going to back down.

The doctor was the easier choice.

"Fine." I didn't hide the distaste from my voice.

Connor straightened up and moved aside so the doctor could move closer. When Connor strode to the door to leave, I felt a rise in panic.

"Don't go." I couldn't stop myself.

Connor stopped mid-stride and turned to face me. "You want me to stay?"

He was an anomaly in my life I couldn't explain. I didn't trust him or the intention behind his actions but I knew he wouldn't hurt me, not like Daniel had.

I swallowed and nodded. He returned to stand at the foot of the bed as the doctor began to check my injuries, lifting my top and examining the area where Daniel had kicked me. He moved his fingers, pressing against it, and I hissed when the sharp pain shot through my side.

He looked at Connor. "I don't believe they are broken but I'll need an X-ray to confirm."

I shook my head. I had allowed the doctor to examine me but I was drawing the line at going for an X-ray.

"I can do it at my private clinic." The doctor looked between Connor and me. I didn't want to do it at all but I could tell Connor was going to argue with me.

Connor studied me for a few moments before he looked at the doctor. "Could you give us a moment?"

He nodded. I followed his departure and my eyes remained on the door after he closed it behind him. I didn't want to look at Connor, I didn't want to see his sympathy.

"Riley," he said my name softly and it pulled at the vulnerably that had me wrapped in its embrace, but I refused to look at him. Instead I dropped my gaze to the carpeted floor.

His shoes came into my view. He tilted my face to meet his with a guiding finger to my chin.

"Let me help you," he said. "Dr. Howard will do the X-ray and we can make sure there aren't any further complications."