10 - The Preacher's Daughter

Eli's POV

I drum my fingers on the table in front of me as I down my coffee. The coffee shop is quiet today and just what I need.

Today is the day. The day I get back on the proverbial horse and get myself back out there.

I called Natalie and arranged a coffee date but was so nervous I got here half an hour early. I figured I would calm my nerves with a coffee but all it did was make me jittery.

I am sitting next to the window so I can easily see the sidewalk as people walk past. Every flash of colour in my prehipial vision gives me hope that Natalie is here but I am always let down. Until finally, I'm not.

Her army green bomber jacket catches my eye first as she walks into my line of sight and I instantly smile. She is even more beautiful than I remember.

She hurries up the steps and slips inside the coffee shop where she starts scanning the room for me. When she spots me she gives off a shy smile and makes her way to my table.

"Hey Eli." She says in her sweet sounding voice.

"Hey. It's good to see you."

I stand and give her a small side hug and retake my seat as she slides out of her bomber jacket and sits across from me. Her hair is down in tight ringlets that frame her rounded face. She has the smallest amount of makeup on with a light shimmer on her lips. She looks effortlessly beautiful right now.

"How are things at the shop? Steve keeping you busy?" I ask to get the conversation rolling.

"Always. Steve has a massive client base and it just keeps growing. He even hired another full time barber to keep up. But it's great. I love it." She sounds sincere as she speaks. She must really enjoy the work.

"When did you move to the city?" I ask trying to learn more about Natalie.

"Not long actually. But I'm only here during the week. I go home on the weekends to see my parents and help my dad out."

I raise my brow in intrigue. She obviously has family values.

"What does you dad do again?" I ask knowing that I was told but without a clue in the world to what it was.

"He is a preacher at the town church. My mother runs the sunday school there and my sisters and I all sing in the church choir."

"Wow. So you are a very church going family then?" I say instantly regretting my choice of words.

"Yeah we are. Growing up as the daughter of a preacher man pretty much means you have no choice." She jokes.

"So you sing, huh?"

"Yep. Sure do. I've always loved singing but I know there is no money in it. That's why I figured I would get a real job."

"As a barber?"

"Steve's wife, Chanelle, is my mother's cousin. Steve heard that I wanted to move out here on my own two feet so he offered me a job. I actually enjoy it although the men that come in there can be a little crude."

"Crude? How so?"

"Well, they like to joke about their sex lives and which celebrities they would sleep with. I guess I'm not use to that sort of trash talk."

She shakes her head and scrunches her nose as she speaks to show how disgusting it is. All I can do from letting my jaw hit the floor in shock is to smile politely.

When I first saw Natalie and asked her on a date I wanted so much for her to be the one. And maybe if we get to know each other a little better she will be but the odds aren't stacking up right now. She is such a lovely person but I fear that we have nothing in common.