Chapter 15

It felt awkward for Ash being alone in the new apartment by herself. She almost didn't know what to do. For the first half hour, she retrieved her glasses from her room and wandered around the place to get a feel for everything. After that, she went through the bookshelves of the sitting room in Spencer's apartment. Most were books she'd read before from libraries and bookstores- classics like Moby Dick, War and Peace, Hannibal Lecter series, Frankenstein, even some pieces like La Petite Fadette. There were also plenty of books on physics and biochemistry and psychology, some of which Ash had seen before, but not really read. There were also a few books in a language she couldn't understand- it was Russian or Polish or something similar.

The last row of the bookshelves were lined with old scrapbooks. Most were collecting dust, but others had obviously been pulled out more recently. Ash didn't investigate these too much further, bored with them, and she settled down on the couch with a basic psychological analysis book. It was thick and had a yellow hardcover, and the author had printed his face on the back with a précis of the book. Ash had never really liked books that had reviews on the backs instead of summaries.

Within an hour of Ash clearing through the book, her back pocket vibrated. Spencer Reid had texted her. Are you doing okay?

Ash blinked slowly at the screen, it being the brightest thing in the room. She typed back a short response that she was fine and simply reading, then she went back to her book, cleaning the lenses of her glasses. 

It was a rather long few hours of reading and wandering around before Spencer came home again. The loud clicking of the door lock scared Ash. The young doctor stepped silently back into the apartment, greeting her with a small smile. 

"You'll have to come with me to the office tomorrow, okay? The director of the FBI wants to meet you in person before he accepts your consultant application."

Ash nodded, pressing her book into her lap.

"Unfortunately, I won't be able to sit in on that meeting. I'm not allowed to. There will be a translator there with you, though."

Ash nodded again. It looked like she was nervous. She hadn't been away from Spencer with anyone else other than Penelope Garcia since her kidnapping. 

"I'll be right outside of the office, though, when you get out," Spencer reassured her with a small nod. He decided to change the subject. "Have you eaten anything today?"

The young girl shrugged her shoulders. Spencer could take that as a no.

"Well then, why don't we go out to get some dinner? We can worry about the meeting tomorrow before we leave."

.

A/N: An actual update wow?? It's short but I wanna update this fic again soon. But since this is kind of my fanfic spam/dump account I have several other fics if you guys wanna go read those while I work on this one more!