It All Goes Down Hill for Mufasa. . .too soon?

The African Sky was awakening, the glimmer of gold sprouted from behind the dark horizon like the stalk of a mustard seed from fertile soil. Birds spread their wings as they soared through the lightening sky, flying to magnificent heights before plummeting down to earth, snatching their easy, wriggling morsels hidden in the dirt and grass. Animals began to become alive with movement as the sun's warming rays touched them, breaking the powerful spell of sleep cast over them.
The sunlight trickled onto Pride Rock, covering the sleeping lions in a radiating warmth that spread through their bodies, stirring them slowly and pleasantly until Simba opened his eyes.
"Rise and shine, Zula." Simba said in a yawning voice, his long white incisors glinting.
Zula stretched herself out on the warm rock, her white fur bristling from the troubled night.
"Why must we wake up so early?" Zula complained, shifting onto her feet and extending her claws, raking them across the rock to sharpen them. Simba laughed at her moodiness and nudged her with his shoulder.
"You're so beautiful when you're complaining." Simba joked, winking at her.
Zula flushed but shrugged off his compliment, pacing towards the edge of pride rock where all of the Pride Lands could be viewed. The clump of trees in the distance reminded her of home, of Timon and Pumba, of her old, carefree life. Zula sighed in yearning.
"It's great, isn't it?" Simba whispered while he gazed in admiration at the land stretched before him, bathed in the golden light, while the pure lioness looked at him with her large blue eyes.
"It must be nice to get to see this view." Simba said when he received no response, " It mustn't have been this beautiful from wherever you're from. It must've been hard to be so disadvantaged - I heard you were even raised by a meerkat and a pig! It's a miracle you're as dignified as you are. "
Zula stepped back from Simba, stung. Hurt and defense flashed in her eyes.
"Oh, no. That's not what I -" Simba muttered quickly, seeing his mistake .
"My home is very beautiful." Zula hissed, "It's the most beautiful place on the Savannah."
"Zula -"
"Be quiet!" Zula demanded fiercely,"And for your information, Timon and Pumba aren't just 'a warthog' and 'a meerkat' - they're are my family. I love them with all of my heart. The only reason I'm here is because of them and I don't need an arrogant brat telling me otherwise!"
Simba's eyes were wide with regret, "Zula, I think you're overreacting."
"Maybe I am." Zula said wistfully, "I think I need to consider what's happening here a little more seriously. I'm sorry. Simba, let's face it - you're spoiled. I don't think I can be in a relationship with someone like that."
Simba growled, "Take that back!"
"No!" Zula retorted, "That's the truth and you know it! You don't know what it's like not to be pampered and preened over!"
Simba crouched in a hunting position, his teeth bared in a hostile snarl.
"Get.Out." Simba snapped.
Zula gasped, "You can't do that to me! You're not the king!"
That was the final straw.
Simba pounced, slamming his great body against hers, her legs buckled and she careened to the floor, her heart pounding in her ears. Zula wriggled beneath Simba's powerful paws, his flaring bursts of breath on her face and neck.
"Take that back, Zula." Simba snarled, "Or else."
The wind wouldn't return into her shuddering lungs, no matter the gasping breaths she fought into her throat.
"I'll leave." Zula gargled, "For ever."
Simba pressed his paw lighter on her throat, giving her chance to breathe. His eyes burned in fiery concentration. That was all she needed.
Zula forced her weight onto him, flipping him onto his back with a low thud. Simba grimaced as his spine smacked against the rock, but Zula felt no sympathy.
"You'll make a selfish king, Simba." Zula foretold, "But here's this : I will leave Pride Rock, just as I promised, and you can keep your kingdom to yourself. I hope you can live with yourself - not many lions can."
Simba panted, "Zula - please."
"I'll be where I've always been - with my uncles - and when you finally gain your humility, come and find me." Zula laughed humorlessly and leapt off of Simba, sprinting to the last main fissures of the Pride Rock.
"Farewell, Simba." Zula called to him, "This won't be our last encounter."

Simba raised himself to his feet and watched the white lioness become a dot on the face of the land, becoming fainter and fainter until Simba could see her no longer. A heavy ache filled his bones like lead, and he collapsed to his feet and scanned the territory of the Pride Lands, hoping to catch a glimpse of her hurrying across the Savannah. The only other image of Zula was conjured up by his imagination.
"Why did I do that?" Simba lamented, wallowing in the rich confines of his self-pity.

"Oh no, Simba. You've done it again, have you?"

Simba looked over his shoulder lazily, scowling as he saw his Uncle glancing down at him.
"It was her fault." Simba assured him, "She didn't want to be here any longer than she had to be." Scar smiled narrowly, his dark, intelligent eyes scanning through to his brain.
"I'm sure she did, I'm sure she did. The only question: do you go, or does she return?" Scar uttered wistfully. Simba buried his golden head in his arms, his orange tufts of mane sprinkled hither-and-thither over his scalp. Scoffing, Simba slunk past his Uncle Scar into the cave.

Scar smirked, checking that he was out of earshot before whispering to the wind.
"I'll be seeing you soon, my sweet desert flower. But first, the mighty king must fall."

_____________________________________
*** IMPORTANT MESSAGE***
Hi, again. If anyone still reads this story, I urge you to read the following note.

I wrote this short piece as a final tribute. I ask you now to comment and vote if you liked the chapter and if you like my story. If I don't get many positive replies back, then this story will be deleted. If not, I will finish the fan fiction to the best of my ability.

Thank you for your support,
ExcentricWritingGirl
_____________________________________