Frozen Solid

You found the street, which wasn't hard. The entire block was decorated in colourful gum mounds and splatters. You were glad the cold had hardened the candy because you didn't think you could fight your way out of that if it were sticky. You had walked up and down the street twice now, had seen no one and was no closer to figuring out where Gumball was specifically.

You folded you arms in frustration. Why did you have to get so attached? You didn't even know him! You glared at the ground, as you scolded yourself for this ridiculous behavior.

 Why did you have to get so attached? You didn't even know him! You glared at the ground, as you scolded yourself for this ridiculous behavior

"Herb?"

You jump back, bumping into someone. You spin around to see a cookie you don't recognize at first. He continues to look at you with a confusing look. "What are you doing here?" You mumble a vague noise that doesn't even come close to a response.

 Then something clicks, "Ginger Brave?" You ask dumbfound. He snickers. "Yeah, who else would I be?" You shake your head. He's bundled up, looking like a strange mix of his grandmother and Red Bean Cookie. His face and icing are so plain and simple it's impossible for you to realize otherwise.

You laugh nervously, "I'm sorry, I didn't recognize you." He huffs and rolls his eyes. "I get that, but seriously; what are you doing here?" He stuffs his hands in his jacket pockets as he speaks. "Your shop is on the other side of town."

You blank and stumble over an explanation, hurriedly sputtering that you were looking to make sure your regulars are okay. Seeing as with the cold weather, their visits to the shop have decreased.

It's not a lie, but it's not the complete truth. You are looking for a regular, but just one, not all of them. You feel a pang of shame as you realize this.

Ginger Brave seems to grind his teeth, you hope he's not seeing right through you. "Who are you looking for now?" The question catches you off guard, but you recover fairly well. "Oh, I was looking for Gumball. He hasn't been by in a few days." You can feel your face starting to burn and you cross your fingers Ginger Brave either doesn't notice or thinks its because of the chill.

He grins. "I know where he lives!" He turns around, waving a hand at you. "Come on, I'll show you." You follow after him almost too eagerly. He leads you to the small apartment complex on the corner of the block and leads you up the step. "He shares the place with Kiwi Biker, or is Biker Kiwi?" He pauses, mauling it over. "Either way, its usually just Gumball since Kiwi is always on the road. I don't know why he needs an apartment."

"Maybe he just wants to know he's got somewhere to come back to?" You suggest as you make it to the top of the steps. "Maybe." Ginger Brave seems to agree, but his demeanor suddenly changes. He's stiff and alert, and it makes you wary.

He marches toward an apartment door that appears to be iced shut. His expression focused and upset. "Ginger Brave?" You ask hesitantly, you feel like you're in danger but you don't know from what.

He shakes his head. "This is his apartment." Your stomach drops. He bangs on the door and you jump. A moment passes with no answer. He bangs on the door again, ice shards shattering to the ground. You can feel your breath picking up in pace.

 "Gumball!" You jump out of your skin as Ginger Brave hollers. "Are you in there?" You pray he's not. "Gumball!" He's banging on the door again and you're shaking now.

Ginger Brave huffs and pulls out his phone. You don't pay attention to him as you focus on calming yourself down. It's possible that Gumball could have just not been home in a while; a long while.

 You frown at the large chunks of ice around the door frame. You need to distract yourself from the situation, so you try looking away. There's a window and you can see into the apartment. You bite your lip and move to peep inside.

The front room is dark, you can see the reflection of candy gumballs all around. There's a cluster of ice sickles just beyond the couch. You squint in confusion. Then your heart jumps to your throat.

"G – Brave!" Your voice cracks and squeaks as you rush to tell Ginger Brave what you saw. "Hold on Boarder!" Ginger Brave doesn't hang up the phone, holding it in his hand as he moves to the door.

He leans back and takes a kick at the door. Ice crashes down and he delivers another blow to the door breaking it in. He rushes in, telling Boarder Cookie what he's seeing, but you're too scared to hear what's actually being said. You follow suit, holding your breath.

You can hear Ginger Brave cursing as you look around the couch

You can hear Ginger Brave cursing as you look around the couch. Gumball is laying in a heap, frozen and coated in ice sickles. You are light headed and you have to look away. This is exactly what you were afraid of and now you don't know what to do or how to respond.

"Yes, I need help for my friend. I've found him frozen and." Ginger Brave is talking louder and pronouncing his words clearer than before. You turn to him expectantly. His expression grows angry and he hangs up without a word.

"Well, the authorities are useless!"

You wince at the harshness, but you're confused. "What do you mean?" You've not ever heard your voice so small.

"They said that frozen cookie dough is common and not to worry. That everything will be fine after a few hours of defrosting!" He huffs and crosses his arms. "I know that, but he's frozen solid! This isn't just a limb!"

You chew at you lip and chance a glance at Gumball. You stomach churns. Is he even still alive? If so, can he even be saved? You start to feel sick and wish you had never though of coming out here or thought of coming sooner.

Ginger Brave sighs and tucks his phone in his pocket. "We need to thaw him out. At least, try!" You can hear a sad pain in his voice and you wonder if the two are friends. You don't have the chance to ask as Ginger Brave moves down to kneel next to Gumball.

You move to kneel behind him, hesitantly watching. He's trying to peel Gumball off the floor but the ice is holding him in place. You see the kitchen out of the corner out of your eye and stand. You're going to find something to help break the ice connected to the carpet.

No knives or sharps objects, you don't want to cut anything off by accident. You find a spatula in the drawer and bring it back. Ginger Brave is still fighting the ice with his fingers. You kneel and begin to work the utensil between Gumball and the floor.

You begin to make progress and Ginger Brave is able to get his hands under Gumball pull him up. He breaks away from the carpet with ease now, and you move to help Ginger Brave with Gumball's weight.

He's heavy and you're both straining to hold him. "Let's move him to the couch for now." Ginger Brave grunts. The two of you manage to pull and drag him onto the couch. You can see Gumball's face now.

It hurts you and makes you uneasy. He looks dead. It makes you feel gross, but if there's a chance you can save him you'll take it.