cold blood

the opened bookshelf revealed a passageway. it reeked of mold and dust. everyone coughed and spat. jack quietly yelped. he knew his death crept closer and closer. "w-who's going to lead the way?" daniel asked. everyone smelt like blood and flesh.
                  "i'll do it."
     jonah's deep voice sent chills down everyone's spine.
    everyone nodded and moved out of his way.
jonah's eyes wandered around everyone, and then to the creature that lay dead in the corner. he quickly looked away and turned to the passage. his heart pounded in his ears as he slowly walked towards the darkness.
  "a-are you sure about this?" jack asked, interrupting the silence. daniel softly nudged his shoulder and looked him in the eyes. telling him that it has to be done.
   jonah pulled the bookcase all the way back, which shed a little more light down the passageway. revealing stairs that led to darkness.

he then stepped onto the first step. his cold breath chilled everyone in the room.
   his pale face then turned back to everyone, "come on" he whispered, waving his hand.
   lauren grabbed daniel's hand and followed jonah. kailyn then softly lifted jacks arm around her shoulder and slowly helped him to a walking stance. steadily following the others.

_____

  the 5 teenagers were surrounded by cobwebs and mold. the cold brick walls of the passageway reminded kailyn of the room where this whole mess began. she remembered the single lightbulb and the bloody carcasses hanging from the ceiling. she shook with horror and focused on helping jack. who was getting weaker by the minute.
   anxiety started to overwhelm lauren. daniel could tell something was wrong with her. "is everything alright?" daniel asked, softly laying his hand on her shoulder. she jumped at his touch and looked forward into the darkness. the blank walls were slowly closing in on her. she couldn't see the walls.. but still, she could somehow feel them slowly close in on her. she could feel her breath start to escape her lungs.
   the tunnel was pitch black. everyone had to rely on each other's touch to ensure their presence. silence and lauren's short breaths filled the dark tunnel.
   "i-i-" lauren stuttered. only daniel knew what was happening to her. he felt for her hand and held it. she squeezed hard and steadied her breath. "stupid claustrophobia" she sputtered.
  everyone let out a nervous laugh and kept moving forward.