chapter one

CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE

Irene Mars' heard the bell of the restaurant ding off as she opened the door. Seeing her mother, Elsa, cutting out pieces of the newspaper before looking towards the opposite side of the restaurant.

The red head fixes her fur coat before coughing towards her mother to show Jimmy was flirting with a waitress. Elsa slams her cup down before dragging her daughter to follow along too the two.

"You know, I'm having some trouble with this." Irene pulls out a lighter before sitting next to Jimmy Darling. "Think you can help me out?"

Jimmy scoffs and looks towards the waitress "Is this your sister?" Sister? Them being siblings? Yeah, okay.

"Hit the road, toots" He tells the waitress.

"You should do, Rene. I need to have a talk with Jimmy." It was a frequent thing that took place in her family. Irene was never involved with any conversations or plans, Elsa unknowingly discredited her intelligence and maturity. She was 22 and treated like a god damn child.

Irene gave off a fake smile before going leaving the restaurant. They thought she left but really she had just stayed outside, lighting a cigarette, before sitting on a bench. Observing all the cars on the road before hearing the door open.

She threw the cigarette as she saw Jimmy walking out furiously. "Woah, Jim, what happened in there?" Irene asks as she followed him, trying to walk just as fast as he was.

Jimmy and Irene had been best friends since they met. She was 8 and he was 10. She never thought of him any differently, she loved his hands. She always thought they were beautiful in their own way. They trusted each other to never judge each other.

"Your mom just thinks the world is much easier than it is." Jimmy says, just trying to shrug it off, not wanting to worry her.

He makes his way to his bike as she stands in front of him with her arms crossed, her red hair flowing down past her shoulder on the right side. "Doesn't she always?" Irene rolled her eyes at her mother, when she wasn't even present.

"Hop on, sweets" Jimmy said and she steps behind him, onto the bike. "Hold on tight" He stated and her hands landed around his waist.

-

The romantic relationship between Jimmy Darling and Irene Mars was complicated, they pretended there were 0 feelings, they had kissed multiple times and still never spoke of those feelings. But they were there, whether they wanted to admit it or not.

The two were setting up for the show that night. Irene didn't perform, actually there wasn't much she did too. Her mom wouldn't let her be apart of the business or decision making of be apart of the show, even though Elsa could.

Irene worked backstage, helped clean up, helped cook, help perfect the new acts, come up with no ideas when she could, but it was useless when no one bothered to come to the show.

"Do we even need all these chairs?" Irene asked as she filled up the 8th or 9th row on the right side.

"Just in case" Jimmy responds "Who wants to come to a show with barely any chairs?" He asks, earning an understanding shrug from Irene.

"Yeah, yeah" She said as she continued putting out chairs, before Paul came into the main tent with a message.

"You'll never believe it! Elsa brought in a new act." A new act? What? Without telling her? Irene raised an eyebrow looking at an also confused Jimmy as they exited the tent.

Irene saw the masterpiece. Siamese twins. She personally believed it was quite cool, they both were magnificently beautiful and the red head was never one to judge someone based on deformities. She lived in a freak show, for god sakes.

The girl Irene saw on the right side of the body seemed much happier, a brighter smile, more excitement to be there. While on the left side, was a girl who was very obviously the complete opposite.

Either way, in the first day, they all tried to be respectful and nice like they always were. When Ethel started getting annoyed with the twins who refused to eat their food, Irene volunteered to help.

Irene was a very very sweet girl with a very very bad temper. She was the nicest person you ever could meet until something or someone upset her and her quick witted insults fired out of her like a cannon. So many times people watched out for her.

The red haired girl wore a black blouse with a red skirt as she opened the curtain. Bette gave her a welcoming smile which she returned, as she walked in with the food.

"Hello ladies. I am so sorry we haven't been introduced yet. I'm Irene Mars, Elsa's daughter." The red head smiled, giving out her hand for a shake which Bette tried to return before getting her hand slapped away by her sister.

Irene shrugged off the embarrassment, slugging her hands off on her skirt. "So you're not one for hand shaking, that's okay. And I hear you're not hungry. And while I do believe you need some energy before the big show. I understand. Nerves get the best of you. Why don't we just start with you two telling me a little bit about yourselves?"

"We're not nervous" Dot said aggressively. Irene smiled off her annoyance before looking over towards Dot's sister.

"How about you, Bette? Anything I should know about you? Hopes, dreams, interests?" Irene asks crossing her legs and putting her hands over her knees.

"Well, I do love the famous movie stars nowadays. The glam and fame" Bette smiles, she thought Irene was beyond beautiful. And normal, most of all. She could be the glamorous and famous movie star if she could get out of here

"Well it just so happens, I enjoy the movies and stars too" Irene smiled. And while it annoyed Dot, her sister chatted it up with the red head for a while longer.

Maybe if they liked her, just maybe it would make things easier.

// theres chapter one!!! i hope you enjoyed it, im so excited for it!! also currently in drafts of writing a roanoke fanfic with madelaine as the fc, maybe turn it into a series? anyways, leave feedback pls and thank you❤️