Tea

The beach. Arinze surprised me with a trip to the freaking beach. It was the day after the party, and I was reluctantly and angrily looking for clothes. I'd gone over to Arry's earlier that morning to finally do what I needed to do. I'd laid awake the night before, thinking of ways to break up with him. I'd reached his house, got past his nasty ass brother, and walked up the stairs and to his room with determination. I was going to break up with that man, because it was the right thing to do.

The second he'd opened the door and laid eyes on me, Arinze was holding me and repeatedly apologizing for what happened at Jayla's party. I didn't even get one word out before he was trying to kiss and hug me, promising to make it up to me.

He then explained to me how. He'd booked a hotel along the beach in Corolla, North Carolina for the rest of the weekend. There was a festival occurring, and he had so many ideas planned for us.

The situation was overwhelming, and I froze. I left feeling like an idiot. I walked in that room planning to break up with Arinze and left wondering how the hell I was going to endure a five hour drive to and from North Carolina... along with a miniature "baecation" I didn't even want to go on.

Things had gotten way out of hand. I hated how bad I was at break ups. I always needed a reason to cut somebody off; they had to do something. Arinze hadn't done anything recently, so I had no motivation other than my feelings for another boy-- and that really didn't feel right to say.

"What's wrong, Sim?" Sonyae's voice caused me to jump, and I turned to see her leaning against my doorway.

"What makes you think something's wrong?"

"You should be on WorldStar with that suitcase." I laughed, as she sat on my bed. "What's up?"

I sighed. "Arinze and I are going to the beach tomorrow morning."

"... OK...?"

Remembering her words from the night before, I made up an excuse. "...he sprung this on me at the last second but had already booked the hotel, so I didn't wanna say no."

"Ah... well, why wasn't I invited? That's rude."

Despite her words being playful, an idea sprung in my head. "Come with!"

Sonyae stopped laughing. "I was kiddin'."

"Well I'm not." I said. "I don't wanna leave you here. Hell, let's get the whole group in on this! It'll be fun!"

"I mean... I'm down, but--"

"Great!" I exclaimed, reaching for my phone. "Lemme see who all can make it."

*****************

"When I had said 'baecation,' I kinda meant just the two of us."

Arinze was giving me an unhappy look through my MacBook screen. He had FaceTimed me, so I took that time to tell him that our friends had happily agreed to join us on the beach trip.

"I'm sorry, Arry, but when the group heard where we were going, they wanted to tag along. It's not like they'll be staying in the same room as us."

Oh shit... the same room.

"Fine... but we'll get to spend time together, right?"

I nodded through the phone. "We'll try."

"OK, I'll see you tomorrow morning."

I smiled. "Bright and early."

"Are you still riding with me?"

"... I can."

"Alright. Goodnight, baby, I love you."

"Goodnight, Arry." I hung up and huffed. I didn't understand why I couldn't just bring myself to break up with him and call off the trip. I could've easily paid him back. Could I be hoping that the trip would change my feelings? I wish I didn't have to break up with Arinze, but I knew it was the right move... yet maybe the weekend together would help me find that love that hadn't been there in the year and some change we'd been together.