Chapter 3- A Single Dusty Room

Before this chapter starts, there is a SLIGHT mention of abuse and neglect, so just a trigger warning for that ^^

"Max... is this your room?"
"No!!" Max snaps back. "Of course it's not! I wouldn't live in a dumbass room like this, especially when I live in a house of literal gold!" Max had tears welling in his eyes, and they were clear as day.
"Max..." David sighed, reaching his hand out to comfort the small child in front of him.
"JUST FUCK OFF!"
Max swatted David's hand away, turning around so he didn't have to see the face of his camp counselor. Why the fuck did he have to come!? Why couldn't he have just stayed at the camp where he belongs? Most importantly, why did he care so much about his dumb room!
"Max, look... I-" David paused. "I know you're upset, but I need you to listen to me here, ok?"
Max lifted his head slightly, as if to signify that he was listening.
"Thank you. Now, would you mind telling me why you were so stressed about me coming into this room?"

Max stood there for a few seconds, not saying anything. David was just about to pipe up again when Max started speaking.
"This... IS my room. I don't have a fancy ass golden room like the others. I didn't want one anyways." Max walked into the dusty room and sat on the mattress, and David followed suit. As he sat down, a spring poked into his leg.
"OucH-!" He exclaimed, quickly bouncing back up off the bed. Max chuckled quietly.
"Haha, yeah, you have to look out for those things, they hurt like a bitch. When I'm sleeping in it, I get poked ALL the time."
"So why don't you just ask your parents for a new bed?"
Max looked up at David. His pale face was slightly concerned, but it also had a look of comfort.
"I've tried David, believe me. They just... never listen.."
"Huh." That's all David could say. He was in a state of disbelief, mixed with a state of confusion. How could Max live in such a dull dark room, when the rest of the house was literally made of gold.

"So you like Pokémon?" David asked, to break the silence that had flooded the room.
"Ew, FUCK NO! I can't stand that bullshit, god! The posters are only in here because they came free in a box of cereal! I wasn't even the one who put them up..." Max trailed off. He was expecting David to pipe up and say something, but he didn't. He stayed quiet, and just looked at Max with sympathy. Max sighed and fell back onto his bed.
"You know, I wasn't the only kid they've had."
"You have siblings?"
Max shrugged, "I guess? I've never met them, they've all either left for good, or were abandoned."
David had to do a double take.
"I'm sorry, they where what?"
"Abandoned. They all either move out or are dropped off in the middle of nowhere with $1,000... at least that what I've been told. My parents have this thing, where they don't want kids over the age of 17 in their household because they start becoming too self-aware." This line reminded David of what Max's dad had said to himself earlier in the hall.
"I was old enough to remember one of my siblings though. Her name was Anne, she was a pretty decent person. I always liked her a lot more than my parents, and I thought we had a good bond, but one day she disappeared without a trace. She didn't even say goodbye to me."
David had covered his mouth with his hands. Every bit of information made him more and more concerned for Max, and now all he could do was feel sorry for him.
"Max, I am SO sor-"
"Don't give me your pity 'i'M sO sOrRy' bullshit David, it's fucking annoying! God why can't you have just listened without saying anything" Max yelled. David leaned back a bit, giving Max space. He was going to say sorry again, but he stopped himself.
"Ok Max. Say what you have to say, and I'll listen. I won't say anything unless you want me to." Max relaxed his tense shoulders a bit and sighed. He really couldn't believe that he was going to tell practically all his life's story to David of all people, but he felt as though it was the right thing to do. After all, David was the only adult he trusted.
"Alright then, thanks I guess..."

Before he knew it, Max was spilling all of his emotions out to his camp counselor. He told him that his parents were never very fond of him, and half the time he was locked in his room with nothing to do. He wasn't allowed to go into the swimming pool, and the fridge and pantry were off limits. He was allowed to have breakfast, lunch and dinner with his parents, but no snacks during the day. He was given ten dollars every day for lunch at school, but as soon as he turned eight years old, they reduced the amount down to five. He always had to walk to school, which to him was fine because it was only a few blocks away. His parents would always yell at him if he was home late, or if he got sick, saying things like how much of a waste of good air he was, or how he was practically chewing up all the money that they had. When they were sober, it was just insults, but it was nothing compared to when they were drunk. He didn't tell David anything about how they acted when they were, but it was pretty obvious to see how it would be like based on the events of tonight. And then Max let it slip. The big secret to his families wealth. They brewed their own wine in their basement, and sold it illegally to people underage and overseas. He hadn't meant to say this part, but the words had just slipped out.

"Shit!" Max exclaimed, jumping off of the bed, and running towards to exit.
"Hey, hey, Max what's going on? Are you ok, is it getting too personal for you?"
"What? No no, David it's not that, I just heard my dad coming! If he knows you have seen my room, he will flip his shit!" He whisper-screamed, and sure enough, David heard the booming voice of Max's Dad.
"Hey DaVvis! Where'd you run off too?!"
"Fuck, fuck, fuck, hurry get OUT David!" Max pushed David out of the room and looked the door just as his dad turned the corner.