Promise.

The world is a screwed up place. Almost like a ball of tangled wire. You can keep trying but it still stays its twisted self and even if you do untangle it, there's always a broken wire. Don't even get me started on the people who live in it. They feel the need to judge others for their flaws when they, themselves have even more. I don't understand why these people do what they do. Kill, destroy, sadden.

I sigh and look at my mother's grave accompanied by my dad's. I've always hated graveyards. You can smell the death in the air, its stench makes you feel the death itself.

Why is it that the people you love so much disappear faster than the people you've only talked to a few times? What did they ever do to deserve this fate? What did I ever do to deserve this pain? The pain that rips me apart. The pain that causes my nightmares. The pain that eats me up, making me hurt more and more every time I think about all that I've lost. Because I'm almost sure I've lost more than any other 16 year old girl.

My dark brown hair was set on my shoulders- the usual. The air today was cold and windy due to the constant rain. I wrapped my arms together, pulling my hands in my sweatshirt sleeves. Letting the red roses once in them fall in front of my mother's grave.

"They were her favorite," someone said.

I didn't have to look back to know who it was. My older brother Derek- basically the only person I had left in my family. Luckily, he wasn't home the day everything happened. He placed a warm blanket over my shoulders making me melt and stood next to me.

"Red roses. They were always her favorite." He repeated, his light brown eyes showed types of feelings I understood: shame, guilt, pity, sadness and most of all- anger.

I nodded and smiled, letting my hazel eyes brighten up. In an attempt to lighten the mood. "She smelt like them too," I answered, "it started pissing me off just being near her sometimes. The smell started killing my nose."

Derek let out a small laugh "Aren't you sweet, accusing our dead mom of killing your nose."

My smile faded a little bit and I could tell Derek noticed cause so did his. We joked around about not having parents before, but never about their death or murder.

"Sorry." He mumbled under his breath. I decided to just change the subject. There was enough depression going around already, but before I could, Derek decided to speak again.

"We should get back, looks like it's gonna rain... Again" He hangs his arm over my shoulders and squeezes me in a hug, "all good?"

"Never better" I've learned over the years that lying is sometimes a benefit for your loved ones. "But, I'll meet you there. I'm gonna stay a little while longer."

Derek nods, "Be back soon, gotta wake up for your first day of hell tomorrow. High school awaits."

I smile. "I wouldn't exactly call it my first day of hell. I've had many."

"Ya, tell me about it," he sighs. "See you later." He walks toward the car, but before he leaves he turns and looks at me "be careful."

The car leaves and I stare at the gravestones.

I close my eyes and crouch down so I'm at the same level as them and then whisper.

"I swear I'll get the man who did this to you. I swear. He'll end up like you guys. Only you will be in heaven, and he'll be rotting in hell. I swear it."

And with that, I got up, wiped the one tear that found its way down my cheek, and walked away, the belts on my black boots clanging together as I did so.

I just made a promise.

And I was determined to keep it.