Chapter 3 - The Proposal

Chapter Three - The Proposal
When we got back, Carlisle was already at home.
"How was it?" He asked me when I came through the door.
"Good," I smiled, and plonked gracefully on the couch.
"I'm going to Bella's house," announced Edward. Just hearing her name sent my throat burning again, even though I'd just fed. This was going to need some getting used to.
Have fun, I thought cheekily. Edward gave me a wink and departed.
"Hey, Bree!" Alice called from her room.
When I got there, Alice was sitting crosslegged on the carpet. Jasper was sitting on the armchair next to her, playing with her short hair.
"Yeah?" I asked.
"I think you know what time it is," she said excitedly.
"Um... do I?" I asked with a raised eyebrow.
"MAKEOVER TIME!!!!" Squealed Alice. I groaned.
"It will be fun!" She exclaimed, putting emphasis on the fun.
An hour later, I stood in Alice's oversized closet, wearing one of her newest outfits. I was almost the same size as her, which was good. I had been borrowing some of her old outfits for the past few days.
"You look so good!" Alice complimented. "Then again, anyone who gets a makeover done by me looks good." She winked.
She had also done my hair; rather than being messy and down, it was up in a large bun on my head. My hair looked lighter in the dull sunlight that came through the window.
She sighed in contentment. "I love makeovers."

A few hours later, I was sitting in a small corner, reading a large volume that Carlisle lent to me. This was one of my favourite spots in the house; most of the minimal sunlight came in through the big glass wall. I didn't really know what everyone else was doing; I was too caught up in my book. Suddenly, I heard Edward's silver Volvo pull up outside.
He walked slowly inside; slowly for a vampire, that is. It was almost at human pace.
He walked inside and I automatically looked at him. He looked... extremely conflicted.
"Hey, Edward?" I said softly.
He barely even seemed to notice me.
"I'm so selfish," he mumbled to himself. He finally looked up at me and sighed.
"Yeah?" He said back vaguely.
"You wanna...talk about anything?" I asked, almost laughing at the disbelief in my voice as I imagined Edward taking advice from me.
"Well..." he hesitated. "It is kind of something I wanted to discuss with everyone."
"Okay." I replied politely, even though I was instantly curious.
Ten minutes later and everyone was gathered in the kitchen, waiting for Edward to speak. I stood in between Esme and Rose.
"It seems like you guys are curious, so..." Edward began.
Emmett muttered something that sounded like, "As if you can't read our minds."
Rosalie smiled.
"Today, I asked Bella to marry me."
"What?!" Rosalie said furiously.