The Sixtieth Memory

"Welcome to the world, Laura Jane Parker," I whispered, cradling my baby girl.

I looked over at you, staring with awe. "Do you want to hold her?"

Your eyes went wide. "What if I hurt her?"

I smiled at you. "You won't. Just make sure you support her neck."

You nodded cautiously and got up from the couch, making your way to the hospital bed. I handed her to you carefully, smiling at the way she fit perfectly in your arms. "She's so beautiful," you whispered, sitting back down.

"She has your eyes," I grinned.

"And your lips," you pointed out.

"Your nose."

"Your jawline, and even your hair."

I laughed. "She's perfect."

Emlyn came in, with your brother and parents right behind her. "Awwe!"

I looked at her and she met my gaze, so I spoke to her with my eyes.

She got the message. "Why don't we all go and get some food from the cafeteria, give these two a little more time with Laura."

And just as fast as the four came in, they left.

"What was that about?" You asked, still looking at our baby.

"I told her I wanted some time with just us."

Now you looked up at me. "I didn't hear you say anything?"

I sighed, smiling slightly. "I didn't need words."

You laughed lightly and then went quiet. "She's sleeping," you whispered, your voice sounding thick.

"Just what I need. A Daddy's girl."

"Don't worry, she'll probably act like you."

"Why do you say that?"

You shrugged slightly, just enough that I could see the movement but not enough to disturb Laura. "I can just tell."

Not too much longer after that, the doctors took Laura to the nursery. I fell asleep, and so did you.

We'd get to take her home tomorrow.

I hadn't actually seen the nursery. I know you thought that I'd peeked, but I hadn't seen it until the next day. You and Emlyn were really good at hiding the key.

That night in the hospital, I fell asleep knowing it was going to be the most sleep I got for awhile.