The Necklace

“Let’s break up,” I voiced out in the coldest voice I could muster. I could see Misaki’s shoulders tense up. I waited for a few seconds but no reaction came. I was strangely disappointed. After a few more seconds, I left some money on the table, and with the words “it’s my treat”, I stood and left.

As I walked out of the café, I turned around one last time to see that she was still frozen there. I felt my heart clench painfully in my chest. I was expecting something else; crying, protesting, questioning…anything, but not this.

Somehow, I felt…regretful. Misaki had been a great girlfriend. We had met at the international school which we both attend. At first impression, she would seem cold, uncaring, and passive, but once you get to know her, she has a soft side; kind and caring. But for the sake of my mother’s last wish…I have to move on to a new target. My hand unconsciously reached up to the ‘yang’ necklace around my neck. I need to find my other half…the one with the ‘yin’ necklace.  I wonder when I’ll be able to find her.

My thoughts somehow lingered back to Misaki. What would she think if I found a new girlfriend? Would she find someone else too? I shook my head. We’ve already broken up. I shouldn’t think about her anymore.

My mother died last year. Before she died, she handed me the ‘yang’ necklace I have now, with the last words---her last wish; for me to find the other half of the necklace.

The next day at school, rumour had spread. Almost everyone knew that Misaki and I had broken up. I could already see boys flirting with Misaki. My hands fisted. I suddenly felt like punching someone, particularly that guy in red flirting with her now.

“Yo, Jason!” I heard a familiar voice call out before I felt a slap on my back. I turned around to see Vincent, my best friend. He’s Singaporean. He had a strained smile on his face.

“Is it true?” He asked, in a much faked cheerful voice.

“Is what true?” I answered his question with another, pretending to be ignorant.

“Don’t play dumb with me, Jason. I know you. What happened with Misaki? I thought you loved her!” Vincent exclaimed.

My eyes widened. “I don’t love her, Vincent. If you know me, you should know that Misaki was just another fling.” I shot back as calmly as I could.

“I know you, and because I do, I know that this isn’t just another fling.” He ran a hand through his hair, as if getting frustrated. “It’s obvious, Jason. I know that you are trying to find that other half thing that your mother wished for, but she wouldn’t have wished for you to do this to yourself. Realize your feelings already, Jason. That anger you feel when you see her with other guys is jealousy. That heart-throb thing you experience is love; not anything else, but love.” He let out a sigh, “Think about it.” A few pats on my shoulder, and he left.

I stood still at the same spot in the hallway. I…love Misaki? I turned to look at her. Our eyes met for a second before she hastily turned away. Regret and sorrow filled my being. Regret? Was it for a loss of a perfect girlfriend, or the loss of my love? Jealousy for someone who once was mine, or for a love that I want to be mine?

I already knew the answer. I then just realized how stupid I had been. I love Misaki. All this while, I have always loved her. That emotion that I always felt and left it unnamed was love…Vincent had only put a name to it for me.

What about the necklace? I looked out the window to the sky. Knowing my mother…she would’ve held my happiness above her last wish…but I definitely will find that other half. There are always other ways.

Misaki would probably understand if I told her. That is…if I managed to get her back. I glanced at Misaki again, only to meet her eyes and for her to turn away again. I let out a sigh. I hope so. Otherwise, I would regret for my whole life. Losing a love just because I didn’t know it was love isn’t worth it.

I started speed walking. I let a smile slip onto my face. I was going to tell Vincent about the result of my ‘thinking’. I know my ‘thinking over it’ was a little too quick, but nothing good comes out of denying that I love her.

I walk into the classroom and spotted Vincent with his girlfriend, _____, who happened to be Misaki’s beset friend. “Vincent!” I called out to him. I didn’t know why, but I wanted him to know about my decision. I was proud of it. Vincent came running over when he heard me call for him.

“I have decided to get her back,” I stated with a smile. I turned to leave right after. I didn’t want to stay and bother their couple time together. Though, I stayed long enough to see Vincent turn around and flash a victory sign to _____. Guess they were in it together.