Chapter 2

Walking in the hallway, I saw Misaki taking some books from her locker, once again with a different guy flirting with her. I all but stomped my way there, ready to punch the living hell out of that guy. I took deep breaths. I couldn’t just start a fight in school, I might get suspended.

When I reached, I glared at the guy, before taking Misaki by the wrist and dragged her away. I dragged her to the secluded staircase area before letting go of her wrist.

“What do you want?” she said, slightly louder than a whisper, her voice laced with bitterness. She continued to stare at the ground.

“I want to get back together with you.” I replied, staring at her.

Her head snapped up, as she shouted, “So you can break my heart again in the future? I think not!” She turned to walk away, but I grabbed her arm, preventing her from leaving.

“I need to explain. Please hear me out.” I whispered, letting a little hurt seep through.

She gave a slight nod.

We sat at the staircase, as I told her about my story.

“My mother had a best friend when she was young,” I started, “as close as anyone could get. They bought this pendant when they were still teenagers.” I took off my ‘yang’ necklace and passed it to her. Her eyes seemed to widen by a millimeter.

I continued, “They lost contact a while ago. My mother died last year. Before she died, she gave this to me and asked of me to find the other half, the ‘yin’. It was her last wish. She told me that it probably belonged to a girl who studied at this school, as they had promised each other to let their kids study here, where they had studied years back. That was my main reason for becoming a playboy…to search for that girl.” I took a deep breath, “but then I fell in love with you. I only realized after I broke up with you. I hope you can understand my reasoning.” My eyes squeezed shut. I was afraid of rejection.

A few seconds of silence passed. Those few seconds felt like an eternity. Before I could open my eyes, I felt something soft press against my lips. I opened my eyes and realized that Misaki was kissing me. She backed away after a few seconds.

“Does this mean you forgive me?” Hope laced my voice.

She gave a small smile and chuckled, while nodding her head. We stayed there hugging for a while.

Suddenly, she said with a smile, “I have something to tell you.”

I raised an eyebrow.

She reached into her shirt and pulled out a necklace. My eyes widened.

There, hanging on her neck, was the ‘yin’ necklace I had been looking for for the past year. It had always been by my side all this while.

“Now what are you going to do?” She tilted her head curiously.

“I think we’re supposed to ask your mother.” I murmured out.