Chapter 4- Aiden

The sun was beginning to set by the time they were finished searching the house, the sky fading to a light peach colour, and the horizon brimmed with pink and yellow. They'd only been in there for about half an hour, so it must've been pretty late in this world already. The two Order members thanked Reginald for waiting for them, and started to make their way back to the portal to their own world.

The Portal Network brought back a wave of nostalgia that caused the two of them to pause for a moment. The Hallway itself hummed with power, sending a tingling feeling through Jesse's body. It was something she hadn't noticed the first time they were lost in this maze of portals. Perhaps it was because they were trapped in there for so long that Jesse had gotten used to it before.

       "This place gives me the creeps," Lukas remarks, drifting away from the portals and closer to Jesse. Jesse nodded, and pointed ahead.

She had spotted their own portal, which had been constructed from oak wood; not as impressive as all the other ones. They dove into the portal, a familiar wave of cold engulfing them before they emerged in another world. Jesse's stomach leapt as they fell from midair, and landed flat on their stomachs in the Order Hall.

       Jesse sighed with relief, brushing off her clothes before glancing out the big window behind them. It was night time, the stars twinkling brightly in the sky. She suppressed a yawn; no wonder she felt so tired.

       Lukas paused and turned to face her. "So... uh-"

       An abrupt slamming noise cut their conversation short, and they swivelled their heads to the source. Radar was rushing towards them, panting with exhaustion. "Jesse, am I glad you're back!"

       Jesse ran up to meet him. "Calm down, Radar," She said. "What's going on?"

       He flapped his arms nervously. "Somebody just turned up and collapsed at the gates! He's hurt really bad!"

      "He?" Lukas repeated, stepping forward curiously.

       "Yeah! Some fellow named Aiden!"

        Jesse's eyes widened, jaw hanging open. "What?!" She spun around to look at Lukas, whose face had turned pale.

       "That's not all," Radar blurted. "Jesse... he was asking for you."

•••••

       "Everyone, out of the way!"

       Jesse's stern and urgent voice carried over the chattering crowd that had gathered at the large red gates. The voices were a mixture of confusion, shock, and fear, but right now Jesse had only one priority, and that was getting through that crowd.

        At the sight of their leader, with Lukas right on her heels, they all stopped immediately, their gossiping transitioning to low, hasty whispers. The crowd stepped aside, allowing a narrow, snaking pathway for the two Order members to run through.

        "What's going on?" A woman asked.

        "Did he look familiar to you?"

       "It must be bad if Lukas is here as well..."

         Even Stacy and Stampy emerged from the crowd. Stacy was clutching her dog, Wink, to her chest rather tightly, while Stampy was nervously tugging at his curly brown hair tucked under his orange cat hoodie.

       "Guys, what's going on?" Stacy asked worriedly. Jesse barely even looked at her as she passed by, replying with a quick, "I'll explain everything later!"