Chapter 38

Caroline's POV

I fall to my knees, letting my back rest against the wall as I sob into my hands. I nearly killed someone today.

The door opens but I don't have to open my eyes to know it's Klaus. He sits down next to me, sighing.

"It was going to happen either way. It's learning how to control yourself against the hunger," he states softly.

I shake my head, "what if it was a mistake- turning me?"

"Don't say that."

"I would have killed her if you hadn't stopped me," I take in a shaky breath.

"That's why you have to learn control, just like I did, and just like everyone does when they first transition."

"What if I'm not meant to be a vampire? What if I'm supposed to be a weak little human because I'm not strong enough to be something greater. What if-"

"Stop it. You are perfect, Caroline. You are beautiful and strong no matter if you're human or vampire. I will love you, always," he presses his head against mine, gently placing a kiss on my cheek.

Suddenly an overwhelming feeling comes upon me, and all I can think about is kissing him. So I do. My lips press against his and I begin to rip his shirt off. We stand up together, his lips ferociously kissing down my neck to my breasts as he takes off my jeans and top, leaving me in my underwear and bra.

"God you're gorgeous," he mutters out as I tug on his hair.

He lifts me up and my legs instinctually straddle his waist as he throws me on the bed. Everything is so much quicker, so much faster. My adrenaline is racing along with my heartbeat.

"I love you, and everything about you, okay? Never forget that," he kisses my neck roughly, certainly leaving a mark.

I moan, "take my bra off, Klaus."

He does so, slipping down my underwear as well.

"Is this okay?" he asks, knowing my uncomfortableness revolving sex ever since I was raped.

I nod with a small smile, "of course."

• • •

I yawn, sitting up and looking out at the morning light. The sunlight peers in through the window and I reach out to touch it, only to immediately yank my hand away when a burning sensation hits it. I nearly forgot about my daylight ring.

My eyes glance at Klaus, his sleeping figure looking beautiful in the light. I want so badly to touch him, to kiss his lips, to stay in bed with him forever- but I can't.

Everything's different now, including my feelings towards him.

Last night was a spur of the moment thing, it shouldn't have even happened. It just makes what I'm going to do next even harder on the both of us.

I stand up, making sure not to come in contact with the light as I slip on a fresh pair of clothes. I quietly gather up all of my belongings, running a hand through my hair as I sigh.

I never wanted to hurt him, but I have to do this- for myself.

I look at the daylight ring sitting on the dresser, probably meant to be a gift he would give me today. I take it, sliding it on my finger. When I touch the light again, I feel no pain. It works.

I debate on if I should wake Klaus to say my final goodbyes, but decide against it. It'll just make the process harder on him.

I instead walk over to him, planting a small kiss on his forehead as I brush away a small curl from his eyes, smiling. He really is beautiful.

I sigh, knowing it's time. I have to leave. I have to explore the world on my own as a vampire without the burden of Klaus holding me back. I knew it would always end this way, me leaving.

That's been my plan all along, hasn't it? I have to stick to it. I promised myself no matter what, I would get out of here. Even if I am in love with Klaus, I need to do it for my benefit. I need to be on my own.

I wipe away a small tear, walking downstairs. I rummage the fridge and take a few blood bags for the road until I can get some for myself.

My eyes flicker over to the kitchen where Emily stands, hands on her hips.

"You were just going to leave without a goodbye?" she frowns.

I inhale a sharp breath, "Em... I'm sorry. I have to, you know? I need to experience these things on my own, unfortunately."

She strides over to me, and unexpectedly wraps me in a warm embrace.

"I know, sweetheart. I've known since the minute you walked into that door that you would not be staying. I still knew when you told me you loved Klaus. You need to be by yourself and I get that. I could never hold you back from what you want. Hell, I'm just glad you still like me even after you transitioned," she giggles and I smile, pulling away.

"I could never hate you, Em. You're my best friend. I want to thank you for that."

She smiles, "I'm going to miss you."

"Can you promise me something?"

"Anything."

"Keep Klaus happy when I'm gone. I love him, Em. I don't want to hurt him but I need to do this. Make sure he doesn't try to come after me, make sure he doesn't contact me or my friends. Make sure he moves on, okay? Promise me?" I cry.

"I promise, darling. Now go on, I don't want to keep you waiting," she ushers me out the door with a small smile.

I take one last hug, gently squeezing her shoulder before I close the door, never looking back.

• • •

What are your thoughts on Caroline leaving? How do you think Klaus will react?

Vote and comment!

XoXo :)