27. Nervous Nate

Bastian doesn't look happy.

He and Nate are in the foyer talking to the twins, while I watch from the balcony like a lovesick idiot. Did he forget something? Has he changed his mind about taking me with him? Do I still want to go?

By the time I get downstairs to investigate, Della is standing in front of Miss K's shutters like Miss Privileged. Where did she come from? Was she inside Miss K's room? Were they having a powwow?

I position myself within hearing range but out of Della's range, listening to Bastian grumble something about 'finding the goddamn parts in this lousy outpost'. It makes me think he isn't here to whisk me away on his airship. Kitty skips across the room and throws her arms around him.

"Daddy! I thought you were leaving first thing in the morning. Did you come for breakfast?"

Bastian unpinches his face, switching into dad mode as he tugs on her braids. "No, princess. We had a problem with the airship and we have to stay in port a day or two longer. Can you round up Ben for me? I'm going to need his help."

As Kitty hurries away, Miss K summons Bastian from her throne. He sweeps his hat off his head, waving it to acknowledge her before turning to offer me a smile.

"Good morning, Ivy. Would you be kind enough to keep Nate company while I have a word with Miss K?" He bows his head and flourishes his hat like that's going to make everything okay, although I can't help grinning when he walks past Della without a glance in her direction, shutting the door in her face. Della huffs, sweeps her hair off her shoulders, and stomps away.

Men are bastards, aren't they?

"C'mon, Nate. I'm sure you won't have to wait long." I nudge Nate toward a couch and he sandwiches himself between the upholstered arm and an embroidered bolster. I sit on the other end, giving him plenty of personal space and affording me a view of the dining room. I want to see Adeline before she sees me. She might try to poison my breakfast if she finds me with her new lust interest.

"So, Nate, have you always lived in Junction?" I ask, keeping it simple.

He nods, holding his body as rigid as a pine as he scans the room. I have no trouble believing he's a bloomer. He looks like he wants to bolt out the door. I can totally sympathize with him.

"And your family owns a farm? What do you grow?" I say, watching for signs that he's going to pass out.

He glances at me long enough to speak. "Mostly potatoes and yams. They keep best during the winter."

"I'm partial to sweet potatoes, myself. My mom would whip them with gobs of butter and brown sugar and top them with marshmallows."

He cracks a smile, shifting his body a smidge in my direction. "My mom, too. My sister tries to copy her recipes, but she definitely needs more practice."

"Do you cook, Nate?"

He bobs his head. "I'm okay. The whole family can cook. You have to know how to do everything these days." He stares at the floor long enough for me to wonder if he's wishing he was home right now. "So, how long have you lived here, Ivy?"

Really? We're going to go there?

I count the days on my fingers, recalling each one with perfect clarity, which is a big deal. The days have been running together for a while. "This is my fourth day."

He finally looks at me for more than one Mississippi. "Only four? I guess it kind of makes sense. You seem different from the other girls."

"Different how?"

His face reddens and he starts picking pills off the bolster. "You just seem more...um...innocent."

Look who's talking, Mr. Bloomer.

"I suppose you could say I'm innocent. But like everything else, it doesn't last forever." I offer him a shrug.

Although he's making it difficult for me to see his face, I've already noticed that his cheeks are round and rosy, like a baby's. The rosy might be embarrassment, but, more likely, it's from living a harsh life. He needs a haircut. His bangs are hiding the prettiest yellow-green eyes. If he is a bloomer, he must not get around much. No girl would forget eyes like those.

"Do you have family somewhere?" he asks, shaking his head and sputtering, "I... I'm sorry. That was a stupid question."

"It's alright. I'm used to being asked that question." It doesn't stop the wave of sadness that follows, but nobody needs to hear my sob story. "If I do have family somewhere, I don't know it. I guess you could say the people here have become my family. Well, everyone except Della. She hates my guts."

"Is she the girl who was just down here? The one who stared at you during dinner last night?"

I nod. "You noticed that, did you?"

"She's probably jealous because you're so much prettier than she is." His eyes widen and his cheeks bloom like it's spring. You'd think he just told the pope his hat was on backwards. The guy is a bundle of nerves. He desperately needs a shot of port from Miss K's collection.

"Thanks."

He picks at the pills again and awkward silence takes over while his cheeks return to their normal shade of pink.

"Is Mitch around?" he asks the bolster.

"As far as I know, he's at the back door. I can take you to him if you'd like. I'm sure he'd be glad for the company. He and Ben must get awfully bored standing out there all day."

Nate jumps out of his seat while I'm still talking, obviously ecstatic at the idea of escaping the house. As I stand to join him, his body stiffens, and he stares across the room like a deer in front of a semi. Adeline is leaning against the dining room wall, watching us as she practices her sneer. It appears I'll be skipping breakfast today.

CAST PHOTO: Josh Hutcherson as Nate

PLAYLIST SONG: Mother Nature's Son by The Beatles