Broken and Alone (A Vampire Academy FanFic)

First of all, all characters, except ones I have created, belong to the fabulous Richelle Mead! Okay, I know that I already have a VA Fanfic up, and I want you to know that this story has nothing to do with that other one. I know you've read books on this website about Dimitri leaving Rose for Tasha, but this one is sort of different. It takes place right after Shadow Kiss. It's only in Rose's P.O.V, though. So, I should explain that Dimitri left because he saw--during the battle at St. Vlad's--that them loving each other would really get in the way, no matter what they do. So, here it is:

Chapter One

Lissa, Christian, Eddie, Adrian, and I sat in a circle on the floor of my room. Despair radiated off all of us. But, what do you expect? Half of the student body was killed. Almost all of the guardians, too. Yesterday, I almost lost the love of my life. Luckily, I responded quickly. I staked that asshole. Lissa leaned against Christian, letting silent tears run down her cheeks. Eddie sat next to me, his head leaned back against my bed. Adrian sat on the other side of me, a bottle of vodka in his hands. How could he drink that alone?

Lissa wiped the tears off her face, and stood up. All of us stood up after her. She walked over to me and hugged me. I hugged her back, confused. I found out why when she started crying into my shoulder.

"I don't know if I should be pissed at you two, or proud that you guys were so strong" she sobbed

"Be proud. This is my job, Liss. And... well, Christian was pretty awesome"

She laughed and pulled away. She wiped her eyes once more and suggested that we all go get something to eat. We all agreed that would be best, and left my room. We all walked in silence. When we reached the cafeteria, I spotted Dimitri walking towards the dhampir lobby. He was probably looking for me. I told Lissa I would catch up with her later, and ran towards Dimitri. I caught up with him and smiled. He was absolutely serious. I should be, too. We lost alot of friends yesterday. My smile faded.

"Hey, Comrade" I said

"Hello, Rose" his voice was cold

I almost tripped. "Are you okay?"

"Can we talk?"

Uh oh. "Um, sure. Do you want to go to my room?"

He didn't answer for a moment. "Okay. It'll only take a second"

We walked in silence. Something was wrong. Something was very wrong. Was he going to tell me we made a mistake? He wasn't. We loved each other. Just thinking about him made my stomach flutter. When we reached my room, I pulled my key out of my pocket, and opened the door. I stepped inside and sat down on my bed. He closed the door behind him and I bit my lip. My eyes followed his every move. He leaned against the wall, wearing that guardian mask. We stayed in an awkward silence for several moments until he came over to me. He stopped a few feet from me. Then he said the words that would bring my world crashing down,

"Rose, I have to leave. I'm going to be Tasha's guardian"

"What?" I asked. I felt like my throat was closing. "But, we had sex! You said you love me! Why are you doing this?! You have to be joking! We love each other!"

"No. You love me. I can't be with someone so immature. What happened yesterday... was a mistake. I used you, and I feel horrible. I just thought I should let you know" he wasn't looking at me. I wasn't convinced.

I sprung up from the bed, "Look at me and say that!"

He looked me in the eye and said, voice cold, "I don't love you. Love fades. Mine has"

And, with those hurtful words, he stormed out of the room. He slammed the door shut behind him. I stood there frozen for a moment. I couldn't breathe. I sunk down to the floor, and brought my knees up to my chin. I buried my head in my knees and cried. And cried. And cried. I must've been crying in my room for an hour by time there was a knock at my door.

"Rose, are you here?"

I stood up and opened the door. She took in my features and worried. She walked inside and closed the door behind her. I sat down on the bed, and prepared myself for the questioning. I tried taking deep breaths, but they were choked by sobs. Lissa sat down next to me, and pulled me into an embrace. She started stroking my hair, and then started questioning me.

"I haven't seen you this depressed in awhile. Do you want to talk about it?"

I took a deep breath. It was time to tell Lissa. "Me and Dimitri had sex yesterday"

She froze, and, under different circumstances, I would've laughed. She held me at arm's length. "What?" she was pissed. "You... Oh my God. Rose! Why didn't you tell mr? Or the guardians?! Wait. Were you two--?"

"In love?" I guessed. She nodded. "Yes. We were. Or so I thought. He just left to guard Tasha"

She pulled me back into an embrace. "Rose, why didn't you tell me?"

"We weren't going to be together for your sake. I-I guess that won't be a problem anymore"

Oh God. I feel sick to my stomach. How could he do this?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment and vote! Please!