Funda(Pharma) Part XII

Break a leg nurses! Don't forget to click FOLLOW. :) :)

1. An infection in a central venous access device is not eliminated by giving antibiotics through the catheter. How would bacterial glycocalyx contribute to this?

a. It protects the bacteria from antibiotic and immunologic destruction.

b. Glycocalyx neutralizes the antibiotic rendering it ineffective.

c. It competes with the antibiotic for binding sites on the microbe.

d. Glycocalyx provides nutrients for microbial growth.

2. Central venous access devices are beneficial in pediatric therapy because:

a. They don’t frighten children.

b. Use of the arms is not restricted.

c. They cannot be dislodged.

d. They are difficult to see.

3. How can central venous access devices (CVADs) be of value in a patient receiving chemotherapy who has stomatitis and severe diarrhea?

a. The chemotherapy can be rapidly completed allowing the stomatitis and diarrhea to resolve.

b. Crystalloid can be administered to prevent dehydration.

c. Concentrated hyperalimentation fluid can be administered through the CVAD.

d. The chemotherapy dose can be reduced.

4. Some central venous access devices (CVAD) have more than one lumen. These multi lumen catheters:

a. Have an increased risk of infiltration.

b. Only work a short while because the small bore clots off.

c. Are beneficial to patient care but are prohibitively expensive.

d. Allow different medications or solutions to be administered simultaneously.

5. Some institutions will not infuse a fat emulsion, such as Intralipid, into central venous access devices (CVAD) because:

a. Lipid residue may accumulate in the CVAD and occlude the catheter.

b. If the catheter clogs, there is no treatment other than removal and replacement.

c. Lipids are necessary only in the most extreme cases to prevent essential fatty acid (EFA) deficiency.

d. Fat emulsions are very caustic.

6. A male patient needs a percutaneously inserted central catheter (PICC) for prolonged IV therapy. He knows it can be inserted without going to the operating room. He mentions that, “at least the doctor won’t be wearing surgical garb, will he?” How will the nurse answer the patient?

a. “You are correct. It is a minor procedure performed on the unit and does not necessitate surgical attire.”

b. “To decrease the risk of infection, the doctor inserting the PICC will wear a cap, mask, and sterile gown and gloves.”

c. “It depends on the doctor’s preference.”

d. “Most doctors only wear sterile gloves, not a cap, mask, or sterile gown.”

7. A male patient is to receive a percutaneously inserted central catheter (PICC). He asks the nurse whether the insertion will hurt. How will the nurse reply?

a. “You will have general anesthesia so you won’t feel anything.”

b. “It will be inserted rapidly, and any discomfort is fleeting.”