34 // MOUSE

Author's Note:  

Author's Note:  

IMPORTANT: TRIGGER WARNING - sexual abuse, rape, violence, drug-abuse, child-neglect. 

Towards the end of this chapter, there is an asterisked break and the subsequent content is written in all italics. This scene is a flashback memory from Casey's childhood and details a traumatic event from her past, that some readers may not wish to read. If you read my Author's Note at the beginning of the story, you will be aware that this chapter is a particularly difficult one, however if you didn't read the Note, please do check the trigger warning above and please please do not continue reading past the asterisked point if you feel this may distress you. If you skip that part of the chapter, I can assure you that it will not impact on the rest of the story. Alternatively, if you decide you'd prefer to skip the whole of Chapter 34 but wish to know what happens in the first part of Mouse, then please do reach out to me via DM and I can give you a brief run-down of that section. 

I thank you all for your support, as always xxx

***

His Gospel.

Ethan had a fucking Gospel written about him.

The Gospel of Helel.

I couldn't process it. How was I meant to process something like this?

I knew how I wanted to deal with it, but I couldn't. Being with Ethan and without any access to my supply, everything he had told me, everything I had seen and experienced, had filled me so completely that I had almost forgotten there was this big part of me that always stayed true to form whenever things got too tough to handle. I was lying, of course, because half the time, shit didn't even have to be that tough for me to reach for the coke. I got wasted because I could. I got wasted because it was easy. I got wasted because it was way better than everything else my pathetic life had to offer. I got wasted because I was Casey Brogan, champion ghost-carrier, champion party girl, champion death-stalker.

Since New Year's Eve, my rollercoaster life had lost its brakes and I'd been increasing speed by the day, hurtling along the tracks, around bends, facing the highs and the lows with a clear head and a clarity of vision I hadn't even known I possessed until then. Yeah, there'd definitely been times when it would have been easy to fuck it all away with drugs – that's why I'd taken the smack from Oscar's office – but I'd come to realise that everything had begun to take a weird and surprising turn. Instead of getting high on powder and pills, I'd been getting high on Ethan. High on being with him. High on this crazy, messed-up adventure. In fact, I'd been so high, I hadn't even noticed when I'd just started accepting everything.

Davey's dead. Oscar Turnbull isn't human. Angels exist. You're a witch. Oh, and that demon you're now sleeping with has a Gospel written about him, because he's not just the son of Lucifer; he's the most powerful creature alive and the future of the world rests in his reluctant hands.