Awakening

Eventually, the pain that Percy was immersed in began to concentrate into his core, it started by fading from his toes and his fingers, then it faded from his palms and his feet. The down side however, was that as the pain faded from the tips of his secondary limbs, it seemed to become more concentrated on the center of his body, particularly his heart.

Victoria never showed her face around him anymore, but another vampire showed up and watched over him. He sneered and mocked Percy as the pain constantly made him whimper and twitch pitifully.

Percy's already pounding heart began to thump erratically, painfully accenting his condition and making his nerves even more sensitive.

The pain was truly excruciating, it was becoming more and more like when he was submerged in the River Styx. The acid was flowing through his veins, boiling every single nerve ending in his body. Razor blades were slashing his skin into ribbons and semi-trucks with white hot tires were running over him. He was being crushed by a 70 ton branding iron as slowly as a snail moves.

Eventually, he could hear exactly what was going on around him, it was as if his senses had been sharpened to that of a dog, maybe even beyond, he could smell the ground with perfect clarity, its musky smell calming and clearing his mind from the pain of vampire venom. He could hear the slightest movements in the tree branches, he could hear a squirrel three kilometers away, each and every one of its skittering footsteps. He could feel the subtle texture within the dirt he lay in, soft as silk and filled with what gave life to all beings, plant, then to animals, and then larger animals.

Finally, as the pain faded from everywhere in his body aside from his chest and became entirely concentrated within Percy's heart, he couldn't take the pain anymore. He began thrash and scream, he clawed at the ground, his demigod, and now enhanced by venom, strength tearing up the ground around him until he was submerging himself in his own freshly turned soil.

His heart was beating out of his chest, pounding several times per second, smashing against his ribs and threatening to explode out of his chest. And then, all of a sudden, it stopped.

Nothing,

Not a beat.

Dead,

Still.

Nothing moved as he stilled, no more pain, nothing at all, he could still sense all around him, but nothing moved for quite a ways in every direction of him.

He opened his eyes and tried to catch his breath, but there was nothing in his lungs. For some reason however, he didn't need to draw breath, he was entirely comfortable without any air

He could finally see the true beauty of the world he lived in.  Every dust particle refracted the light in a different manner. They spun around in circles, on the sport, or in swirls. glimmering like the inside of a windy, silver Kaleidoscope pointed at the sun.

The upturned earth under him felt heavenly, the warm texture massaging and working its way into his skin. The scent of the grass scratching at his sinuses. Percy looked down at his arms and he did a double take.

His arms were slightly more muscled than before, his skin also had an ethereal sheen to it that seemed to glitter in the dying light of day, even though they were in the shade. They were like diamonds, beautiful, sparkling, and he somehow knew, they were even more durable than the valuable material.

He slowly examined his arms and legs in wonder, the latter partially covered by absolutely shredded pants.

"Hey,"

Percy nearly leaped out of his new, sparkly skin as the voice sounded loud and right next to his ear. His arm passed through empty air as he took a swing at the unknown entity next to him.

The strange man leaped backwards in order to evade Percy's strike.

"Woaaah cowboy! I'm a ally!"

"Not a chance, I say you mocking me as I was in pain."

"Nothing personal man, orders, you know?"

"Well then, if you've nothing personal that has to do with me, I'll be on my way."

Damn, I'm thirsty...

"Before you go," the strange man stopped him, "Vampires can't go out into the sunlight without burning up," Percy froze in place, "You'll die."

"I'm sorry, what?"

"You'll die in sunlight. You're a vampire, like me."

"You want to hunt, you'll need to or you'll go crazy with thirst."

"What exactly will we be hunting?"

"We're vampires, what do you think we eat?"

"People..?" Percy replied weakly.

"Correct!" The man replied jovially.

"No," The man deadpanned at Percy's response.

"What?" The man asked.

"I will not kill a human being." Percy declared forcefully. "Do I just need blood? Or does it have to be human?" Percy was panicking now, his mind racing with fear at what being a vampire would entail.

The man simply stared at him, not moving, not breathing, nothing, until suddenly he burst out laughing.

"You can try!" Then under his breath, almost inaudible even for his newly enhanced hearing, "Nasty smelling creatures, animals." Loudly again, "Well, come with me back to the coven's headquarters. We're rallying for an attack against the Cullens and the rest of the Olympic Coven."

"No," Percy declared once again, "I'm not fighting for you, I don't even know you, and besides, I already told you that I have places to be."

"You, are coming with me, or I will kill you, I don't care what Victoria says."

"You work for Victoria?"

"Yeah, how do you know her name aside from the fact that I just told you?"

"She told me her name when I tried to kill her and she bit me."

"Strange, but you're still coming with me,"

"No, I'm not."

And faster than Percy could register, the man's fist connected with Percy's face, but he didn't so much as flinch. Instead, the man's fist shattered upon impact with his nose.

Then, as the man stared in wonder at his hand, Percy retaliated. His fist launched forward faster than even the demi-god-vampire could see or register. When it connected with the man's face, his whole head exploded, there was so much force behind Percy's blow that even after shattering the guy's face, he still flew forward with the blow's momentum.

For a long moment, Percy simply stared at his hands, it could have been nanoseconds, seconds, minutes, years, he didn't know, but his thirst was all consuming, so he followed the smell of fresh blood to it's source, and afterwards, despite his greatest efforts, he satisfied himself with the blood of mortals, and finally made his way back to New York, running as fast as the wind.