Chapter 2

It became warmer on their ride to Rivendell, heading south as the vegetation turned greener. But still had a hint of the approaching fall in their region with the start of changing colors. With only hours to reach the Elven city the company picked up their pace before arriving at the border only to be stopped by Elven guards.

"Halt! State your business in Rivendell," someone shouted.

"We have come at Lord Elrond's request," the young woman stated, riding forward and handing over the letter. She watched the guards share a look in mild surprise that not only did she understand them, but could speak their language fairly well. As if she were one of their own. "I trust we are not late."

Scanning the document, the Elf handed it back to her. "They will begin tomorrow. You are one of the last to arrive. Ride to the gate and you will be given lodging and chance to clean yourselves."

The Dwarves huffed as they passed. Annoyed they could not understand the conversation as their eyes shifted about warily as if afraid they may be attacked at any moment.

"Are you going to stand there all day?" she questioned in Dwarvish. Gaining their attention when they began lagging behind. "Come along, all of you. We have time before meeting the others."

The travelers handed off their horse and ponies to stablehands inside the archway. Then the company were escorted up a set of stairs by a female Elf and shown their rooms inside the lavish home. Of course, her companions were not overly fond of anything there was to offer. Gimli scoffed when seeing the bright room.

"Give it a chance, Gimli," the young woman said.

"I will do no such thing," he huffed. "And neither should you, milady. Trusting these Elves..."

As he continued to rant, along with the other two Councilmembers that joined them the young woman smiled. They meant well, and out of everyone in the company, she had traveled to Rivendell more than most in Erebor. Being in this realm was always one of her most enjoyable stays and accommodations. They knew how to treat their guests, even if they didn't see eye-to-eye on many things in the past and present. But for the most part she earned Lord Elrond's trust since the first time she had come to the city with her mother. Just the memory of it caused her to smile wider as the Dwarves began tugging at random items and prodding other bits in mild curiosity among the room.

"I will be by in the morning," the young woman announced, causing them to go quiet for a moment. They wouldn't be staying in this room tonight she knew with certainty. They would most likely find a balcony to sleep on somewhere in the household. "I need to freshen up."

All those days on the road she longed for a proper bath, not one in a stream. The offered scented products in the bathroom helped her rid of any tangles in her long hair that reached the middle of the back, scrubbing away the dirt and dried sweat on her skin from those hours in the sun. And she rested for a few minutes, the back of her head leaning against the rim of the bathtub to stare at the ceiling. In the distance she could hear other riders approaching from the open balcony doors in the joining room wondering whom else they would be seeing. Who would Lord Elrond trust with this information?

They should have honestly known that something was stirring. There had been rumors, tales that Orcs were being seen throughout the countryside and that a dark force began to manifest from the land of Mordor. But all turned blind eyes, not wishing them to be true. And she didn't blame them because of the horrors that were destined to follow...

The young woman knew the tales. The history of what happened when the Ring of Power first came into being and how the once peaceful land became dark and dangerous. There had been a war with many lives lost, but the enemy was eventually defeated. She hoped whatever it was they came to discuss wasn't the real thing. That a fake merely spooked them all and they were worrying over nothing. But a part of her knew that to be a fool's hope. Lord Elrond would not have called on them if the matter was not urgent and it caused her to sigh heavily. Nothing good would come of this, fully submerging into the bath.

They were in grave danger.