Chapter 1

I spent my free evenings the same way as always, sat in my local coffee shop sipping away at my favourite drink, reading one of my childhood books. The pages were torn and worn but the feeling of paper under my fingers was nice in this world of screens and electronics.

The cafe was calm, both atmospherically and literally. The only people who visit the coffee shop anymore were the elderly, and myself. But I suppose the harsh rain outside and the warmth of the coffee shop was a rather nice way to spend the night.

Most people in today's society are too obsessed with technology to appreciate the simple things, like reading or sitting in a coffee shop in the middle of autumn.

I was so enraptured in my book I hardly noticed a voice calling out to me, that was until I noticed someone sit in front of me and place their hand on top of my book, pulling it down slightly and moving their head lower so I would notice them.

“Oh, sorry. I didn't notice you there. Can I help you?” I looked up and notice a man in possibly his mid-twenties with doe brown eyes and dark brown slicked back hair with a few strands falling on this forehead. He was cute, to say the least.

“Hi, I'm Connor. I'm the android sent by Cyberlife.” It was at that moment that I finally noticed the bright blue LED positioned in his temple and his uniform with ‘RK800’ plastered on the front. My mood immediately dips and I place my book down and pick up my drink. So much for cute.

It was true that I wasn't fond of androids, or any technology really. What was wrong with human interaction? Why would people rather talk to a machine then another person?

It was beyond me.

“What do you need?” I try and be polite but my tone doesn't allow it to come out as such. My eyes unconsciously shrink to a glare and my lips twist into a soft frown.

“You're lieutenant L/N? There has been a homicide reported this evening. I have been sent to aid you in this case.” I sip my drink while he talks and listen. Today was my day off, the last thing I wanted to do was go back to work. With an android of all things.

“Today is my day off? Someone else can deal with it.” I pick my book back up and begin to read again, quickly scanning the page for where I left off. The android didn't seem disheartened as he continued to talk.

“I must insist that you join me, you have been specifically request to arrive at the scene. We must not waste much more time” He places a hand down on the table and raises his voice slightly, I ignore him and continue reading. “I have instructions to escort you to the crime scene lieutenant. I suggest you put you book down and come with me.”

An android with an attitude, Huh? As forceful as I can without slamming it, I put my book down on the table. I don't like being interrupted while I'm reading.

“I don't care. I’m not going on my day off so leave me alone.” I pick up my book and drink and move to another table, hoping the android wouldn't follow me.

Hope doesn't equal certainty.

Connor waits at my previous table for a few seconds, I see him LED flashing yellow for a brief moment before he turns to me and walks over. This time he stands directly next to me, his presence is not made anymore comforting as I can feel his eyes burning into me.

“Lieutenant, it appears as though I cannot simply ask you to join me. How about I buy you drink to go and you join me at the crime scene?” I sit for a few seconds, it wasn't exactly how I wanted to spend my ‘Free’ day. However if it means that I can get this Android to leave me alone and I get a free drink… it can't be that bad.

“Fine. But only this once” For the first time since meeting Connor he pulls a small smile as he waits for me to get up. Although I don't particularly like androids, it did make my cheeks go slightly red. So much for some quiet 'me' time.

Pulling my jacket on over my white shirt and jeans I sigh as I put my book away before looking at Connor, who was watching me with a blank face.

“Homicide. Did you say?”