Chapter 5

“Sorry no, I haven't seen anything”

“No problem, thank you for your time. Have a nice day” This must have been the tenth time I've had the same conversation in the last twenty minutes.

I sigh as I return to Ben collins, who had also been appointed this case, he turned to me while finishing up on his tablet.

“You've got officers sweeping all over the neighbourhood looking for anything” I sigh and nod.

“Yeah well, let me know if anything shows up” He nods and begins to walk off to continue the investigation. Once I was alone I sigh and look up at the greying sky as rain falls on my face.

‘The deviant was an AX400, the report stated that the model was a ‘housewife’ android that became deviant and ran away with the family’s daughter… surely there is something that wasn't stated in the report that caused this.’

I sigh once more before turning to Connor who was stood like a statue facing dead ahead against my car, it's been awhile since we have left the station but I'm still kinda hot about it.

Once he notices me approaching with a dejected expression he takes a step towards me.

“They caught the last bus, and left at the last stop. It's decision wasn't planned, it was driven by fear”

“So a deviant?”

“Exactly. They get overwhelmed by their emotions and make irrational decisions.” Despite already knowing this I nod as if I learned something new.

“Well, that still doesn't tell us where it went.” Although I didn't want to hunt deviants, I was concerned for the little girls safety, although I don't believe that an deviant would harm an innocent life for no reason. I'm not so sure in the emotions of the girl, she could be scared or have been taken against her will.

“it didn't have a plan, and had nowhere to go. Maybe it didn't go far…” He spoke quietly as he thought about what he was saying, it was also made evident by the yellow colour of his LED.

“Maybe…” Once we agreed I slowly walked off to check more area. From outside the store I saw three possible places to spend the night. An abandoned house, the car outside the front of said house, or the nearby Motel.

If this android was protecting a little girl it would make sense that that would stay in a Motel for the child’s sake. It also lines up with the robbery of the store. Why would it take money to only stay in an abandoned house?

“Hey Connor” He turns to me with his soft brown eyes.

“Yes, lieutenant L/N?” He walks over till he is stood next to me.

“Has the Motel across the road been checked yet?” I nod my head in the direction of said Motel, he follows my gaze until his eyes land on the buildings bright flashing sign.

“I have reason to believe it has not. Do you think it will be helpful to the investigation to go and inspect the Motel?” I nod and begin to walk over, Connor following quickly behind me.

Walking through the front door we were met by a tired, dark skinned male with greying hair. He was dressed in a red checkered shirt with a brown sleeveless coat on top with a truck hat.

“Hello, how can I help you?” He sounded chipper despite the bags under his eyes.

“Lieutenant L/N. I'm with the detroit police. We're looking for a female android, she robbed a store down the road last night. Have you seen her?” The man made an almost offended noise.

“You see the sign? I don't take androids here” Connor put his hand forward, a holographic picture appeared on his palm of the android in question. “Shit, I knew there was something wrong with her. She was dressed all normal like, how was I supposed to know.” I nod, at least we know where she has been.