Chapter 24

♡ chapter 24 - Harry 

            Anxiety pumped through me, each thought colliding with another to create a jumbled mess in my brain. The guards coming for Rose's trial early is not what paranoid me—that was normal. Trials were always being rescheduled without the defendant's consent, so that was not the problem here.

            The problem was why they took her.

            Not once in my life that I've been down here (which is sadly a long, long time added together) have I ever seen a guard that won't inform you about your trial. They do it while they get you out of your cell. I've never seen them so discrete before but I didn't like it. It worried me because I wouldn't be there in case something went wrong. Rose doesn't know how to control her powers, so would she be able to save herself?

            It wasn't a risk I was willing to take.

            "Hey, Harry."

            "What, Daniel?" I muttered as I picked at my fingernails, continuing to pace the cell as if it would do me any good.

            "Do you like strawberries?" he asked from the cell next to me, and I could almost hear that goofy smile of his.

            "No."

            "Why not?"

            "They resemble blood too much. It's disgusting."

            Daniel snorted. "So you can kill a butt load of people, but then strawberries gross you out because of blood? Do you even drink fruit punch?"

            "No, I don't. Are you done being irrelevant yet?" I tugged at my hair roots, glancing to the bars as I tried to remember how I had escaped two other times. How the hell could I not remember? It was only two months ago that I had done it.

            "How am I being irrelevant? We weren't even talking about anything."

            "Exactly. It was silent and now you ruined it."

            "Jerk."

            I rolled my eyes, walking to the far left wall and gliding my hand over it as if I expected to feel something. I didn't exactly plan on escaping now, but if Rose didn't get back soon I would. The average time my trials have been were at the maximum an hour. The Council hardly let you spoke to begin with. You were accused, charged, and then sentenced back down here. They don't let you intervene.

            "What are you doing anyways?" Daniel asked.

            "Blocking you out," I muttered through gritted teeth. "I'm trying to remember how I got out."

            "The first time?"

            "No, last time. The first time was too damn long ago," I said.

            Daniel chuckled. "You know something, Harry? You're kind of a badass."

            "Gee, thanks."

            "No, I mean it." Daniel's feet slid against the concrete, giving me the impression that he was moving. "I mean, you basically risk your life every day just by stepping out of the shadows. Then when someone does see you, you just kill me. I mean, BAM! You kill them dead, Harry."