Chapter 27 - Home

E M E R A L D    K H A N Y

"Emerald? Is that you?" She asked, turning towards me. I nodded, not knowing what to say.

"What's going on? How did you guys find me?" She said.

"I've been looking for you for a long time and I recently found Emerald. Now I found you. We need to talk." My dad said.

Grace, I'm not going to call her mom yet, she eyes Daniel weirdly before letting us in.

She was young and as I mentioned she had dark-skinned. Her hair was black and curly and she had it in cornrows. Her eyes were a dark blue. Strange and rare, but that was her. That's how she looked like.

We walked into the living room and sitting down on the couch. The house was small, but it was a good size for 2 people or 1. I don't know who that kid is. The kid by the way was sitting on the floor playing on his Nintendo and drinking some apple juice I believe.

"I wanted to explain why I left. I have a reason and I just hope you can forgive me." My dad started.

"You can tell me after I tell Emerald what really happened." Grace said, turning to me.

"I never left." She started.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"At the time, I had this job that I had to travel to some places to make business deals. That's why sometimes I would be gone for a couple days. I then had to go to Italy and around that time, Stephen and I were planning to buy a house. We were in the middle of deciding. I was going to be gone for like 2 weeks. After those 2 weeks, I came back to the house and when I arrived there was a different car. I knocked on the door and a man I didn't know who that man was. So I asked him where Stephen and my daughter was and he said Stephen sold him the house. At that moment I knew that Stephen sold the house and moved to another while I was gone. I looked all over the neighborhood. I looked all over town and I didn't find you any where. I was stressing out so I got a new job. I asked one of my friends to help. I looked everywhere for Stephen's information. I was going to rip his head off at the moment. He can't just move and leave me stranded. I didn't know what to do. I had no clothes, no food, no shelter. Nothing."

"I became homeless after I got fired from my job. I was missing too much days so they fired me. I just couldn't think or do anything straight. I didn't know where my daughter was and-"

"I get it." I said, cutting her off. She had some tears in her eyes.

"I'm so happy to see you." Grace said. "I'm sorry if you thought I left you." She said.

I nodded my head. "It's ok. I understand now." I said.

We hugged and Grace turned over to Daniel and her eyebrows furrowed. "Now, explain."

Daniel nodded then started talking. He told her everything he told me and after that Grace stood up and grabbed the boy. Yanking his headphones from his ears.

"Andre, get up." She said.

"What?" He whined.

"Boy." She warned.

Andre nodded his head and stood up.

"Emerald, this is your brother and Daniel...Andre is your son." Grace said.

Andre's mouth which was filled with his drink, he spit out in shock and Daniel started having a laughing fit.

Me on the other hand couldn't stop giggling and look everywhere.

How?

That's what I want to know. How?

"What? How?" My dad asked.

"When you left I was pregnant." Grace said.

"How did I not know?" I asked.

"He was living with Daniel's mom. Stephen didn't like kids under 5 and Andre was 5 so he was living with Mila, Daniel's mom." Grace explained.

"So you meant to tell me...that his is my so?"

"And you mean to tell me this is my father?"

Grace nodded.

"Yo, that's so cool. Waddup dad, pops, DADDDY!" We all laughed at Andre.

The next few hours were spent as as spending time as a family.

It was so much fun but when I told Grace what happened with Stephen l, she broke down and couldn't help but blame herself.

I forgive both my parents because they had good reasons.

Andre was so goofy. I just met him and I knew that we might be close.

I was finally happy and I finally had a family.

I've never felt this in years and I'm glad to say it but it felt nice.

Home Sweet Home.