Chapter 001-Not Atlantis

Once upon a time,

There was a human who found an injured sea creature. They took it in from the kindness and treated it back to health. Though such was not an easy task. The sea creature was so close to death with a harpoon piercing past its eye, a stubborn creature that clung to what it had left of its life, but the human was a stubborn creature as well. They took care of it, checking on it everyday and treating its wound until finally, the creature was perfectly healthy once more. The human knew that they would have to release the creature, for it is no life to live when your world is nothing more than a cage. So, the human brought it to the beach and set it free. It was then did the creature truly understand that it had fallen in love with the human. 

xxx

"You ready, idiot?" You called out happily to your partner as he hopped onto the boat the two of you shared. You awaited on the damp dock, sand seemed to crawl its way in between your toes on the ways here, but you didn't mind. It was something you have grown accustomed to over the years on the beach. The smell of the salty waves hit your nose as the crashing water mixed into together to create a oceanic melody. If you looked closely, you could see the colorful life below you, even when you're so close to the shore, life seemed to burst just as much. The bright blue sky above you was clear without a cloud in the sky, making it seem like a perfect day to do your job.

"Yeah, I am, you freaking turd," he called out. He tossed you a life jacket that you happily popped it on and hopped onto the small boat with him. He got behind the steering wheel before peering at you. "Ready to find some mermaids?"

You rolled your eyes at him and scoffed. "God, you won't let that die, will you, Weather?" He shook his head, and you just laughed. Weather turned the ignition on and the engine suddenly bursted with life, and the sputtering of it sounded like music to your ears. "Man, I'm so glad Gene fixed the boat for us. It'd suck if we had to buy a new boat."

"Don't speak too soon, (Y/n), Betty here is over thirty-some years old, she is gonna be due for a change some day, especially with all the torture we've put her through." You let out a loud groan, slumping in your chair for a moment. You knew that when the day comes, it'll be the company paying for it, but since they're usually on a strict budget, you wouldn't be surprised if they took a little bit off of everyone's paycheck to pay for it. Surprisingly, your lab and your discoveries were definitely noteworthy, but many people didn't really seen a point in sponsoring a bunch of dudes who swam a bunch. Though, you all had enough money to support yourselves and the rescue facility for a good while with the help of the aquarium, so you shouldn't be complaining too much.

"Yeah, I know, but that aside, we should probably hurry and get those samples. I was told that a storm's brewing up."

"Really?" Your partner looked up at the sky, noting the cloudless. "It seems fine. But just in case, I guess we should hurry." He traveled further down into the boat before coming back with some scuba equipment. He handed it to you, and you popped on what you needed after peeling off your floater. "You'll be okay?" he asked as he helped up set up. He handed you a few plastic bags for you to collect your samples.

"Don't worry about it! I'll be in and out!" You smiled, reinsuring him. "Besides there's a tracker in my swimsuit, so if anything happens you can find me."

"We should have brought an extra man," Weather exclaimed. "Someone to go with you just in case the weather doesn't end up looking so nice..."

"Bold of you to assume you ever looked nice in the first place," you scoffed. He shot you a glare, and you couldn't help but laugh. "Okay, but in all seriousness, I'll be real quick. Everyone else was busy on their own projects and we can't wait till tomorrow. If there really is a storm, the current could wash away our samples."