Chapter 003- One or the Other

Once upon a time,

A merman lived with two problems. "I am alive," he said, "but I am awfully lonely. I live here in such a vast ocean, and there is no one to call my friend. I see humans play and laugh. I want to do that too. But what am I to play by myself? What am I to laugh about?" The boy would watch humans from the ocean and say, "I may be alive here, but I am so lonely. Though, if I go to the humans, I will no longer be lonely, but I will no longer be alive either."

It's been about a week since your first meeting with Lantis. You tried to ensure some kind of schedule where you could meet up cause you were sure you wouldn't be able to meet him every night, but he insisted that he would wait in the cove every night just in case. And, God, you sure wished you could come every night. You loved your job, yeah. You loved the reclscie facility and the lab and the aquarium...but like, there's a literal merman waiting for you! You looked up at the time and then down at Weather who was examining the samples you collected that day. "How are they looking?" You asked, leaning over to peak at his research.

"Everything seems fine so far. Did you finish your part?"

"I did," you replied. You began to take off your lab coat and put on the aquarium uniform vest. "But Sonia called me in to help her out at the kids activity center. Apparently, the rescue squad found a sea turtle with a damaged she'll washed up on shore, so a lot of the employees are a bit scattered to help out. They say that she'll make it out fine, but they'll need to help fix her shell."

"Oh, geez. Kinda reminds me of that one you brought in," he chuckled. "It was super attached to you. I wonder what it's up to now "

"Probably living it's life like any other fish in the sea," you scoffed as you began to step out the door. You made sure your lanyard with your ID was placed around your neck. "Don't get lonely without me."

"You're only half way out the door, and I feel like eight years of stress had suddenly disappeared," he replied blandly. You knew he was joking, so you chuckled and made your way up to the aquarium.

When you arrived upstairs to the aquarium, the noise of children laughing and running had reached your ears. A numerous if families gathered around the tanks, and you could see kids having their fun with toys that they have bought from the gift shop not too far from here. It was surely a lively crowd, and this was just one area. You were curious what the more popular rooms were like.

You took a moment to stare at the the large tank before you. The hues if light blue brushed up against your face. Different kinds of sea creatures swam around aimlessly in peace. The harmony on the tank was soothing. This was just scraping the tip of the ocean actual beauty. Fish of different colors and shapes swam at their own pace, and you could hear people gasping in awe under their breath. You wondered how Lantis saw the ocean. It was the only world he had ever known. From what he's told you, he east too interesting in land, but he wasn't entirely indifferent to it either. As you talked to him more and more, he seemed to take whatever he told with such awe. But he's never really pressed you for questions. You were usually the one asking the questions.

You arrived at the kids' area, spotting Sonia almost instantly. She wobbled towards you, trying to avoid the raging and energetic children that ran around the area. Before she made it to you, she would sometimes yell across the room, "Excuse me, please don't climb that-Ah! Please don't drag that around. H-hey, please don't grab that," before you got to you. You could see her completely exhausted but not miserable. You had known Sonia to be one to work well with kids, and she seemed to enjoy it. Even if they were utterly exhausting. As the girl stood in front of you, she patted down her brown and red-dyed hair. Her face was filled with exhaustion, and her uniform vest along with her jeans and the blue blouse under it seemed to be a bit worn. Some area were soaked in sea water and were now drying slowly, but the spot had remained. "Heya, thank for coming (Y/n). I'm didn't know who else to help me out," she sighed in relief.