Chapter 3

It was late, Adrian sat by the bed the thin grey journal that rested at the edge of his table. Nights like these are the nights that Adrian hated the most. It was always hard for him to sleep, even as a child. He was never one to fall asleep quickly like his brother, it took hours of deep thoughts and distractions before he could fall asleep. The small lamp was bright enough to light up his room, it was a simple room. A bed, desk with a desk chair, a tall wooden dresser, a television and a nightstand. That's all he really needed. The crickets sang outside of his window every night. It was something that always put him at ease. A small sound that made him feel safe. Safe from his own thoughts. 

You keep it inside and you let it build up until you eventually explode. 

Those same words Dr.Jones spoke made its way into his brain. 

The man softly sighed and grabbed the journal and a pen from his table, he didn't know why. It never helped. It was just something that could help pass time. He put his head on the side of the mattress and rested his back. "This is so stupid," He muttered, his hand began to dance across the page as he wrote. 

I really don't know why I'm doing this. Today was the same as it always has been. I slept until six, took Miles to school and came right back home only to sleep until three. Got ready to see Dr. Jones and went out with Theo and Noah. Boring. Just like this place that I'm stuck in. Whether it's my brain or this town, I don't know. I just feel trapped. If I tell my dad its just going to cause another argument. I can't tell Miles, what does he know about this? Theo, well he's Theo. He means well but he can't help me. Noah will just worry. I feel like a douche. Dragging everyone into my problems. I...

-----------------------

Bright. It was too bright. Adrian squeezed his eyes, his nose crinkled as he tried to shield himself from the bright light. 

"Adrian, let's go we're gonna be late!" Miles yelled through the hallway. 

"Fuck." Adrian groaned as he tried to ease the pain in his neck. He continued to massage the pain out and slowly sat up with a stretch. "What time is it," He asked himself, he turned his head towards the clock that read six o'clock. The man rolled his eyes and got up from the ground, he stretched his legs and turned to the hallway. From the end of the hall, he could see his brother, Miles, brushing his teeth in the bathroom. The grey journal left on the ground, forgotten as Adrian made his way to his bathroom. He ignored the pills that sat in their container on the vanity and went towards the toilet. 

"Where's dad?" 

"He left an hour ago!" Miles shuffled through the hall preparing for school. Adrian flushed the toilet and began to brush his teeth. He glanced at his pills and picked them up once he was done. Two, he had to take two everyday. He swallowed the pills and walked into his room. He rummaged through his dresser until he found a pair of sweatpants and a random black t-shirt. "Come on Adrian! If I'm late again Ms. Murphy is going to skin me alive!"

"Quit being dramatic!" Adrian snapped with a small smile, he changed into the clothes he'd picked out and went to put on his shoes. This was a normal morning for the two. With their dad already at work, it was Adrian's job to get Miles to and from school. At six on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Mondays he would go to his lectures. At ten he would make it home to whatever mess Miles made for dinner, that or he'd make dinner. Making dinner consisted of them cooking, something small, or them going out to eat at some fast food place. 

The shorter curly haired boy stood at the doorway, as he always did and rolled his eyes mockingly. "Would you hurry up, I'd like to keep my skin if you don't mind?" Miles folded his arms as he and his brother glared at each other. They stood there for a minute before the smiles appeared on their faces. 

"Come on, don't want your panties in a bunch." Adrian slung an arm across his brother's shoulder and the two headed for the front door. 

"Whatever! Are you going to class tonight?" 

"Duh, why?" Miles shrugged, the boy was just like his father and brother. You never knew what was on their minds, they always kept quiet about it. Though you could always see through their facial expressions. 

"What's up?" Adrian's eyebrows furrowed as he stared down at the younger boy. Miles shrugged again and sighed. 

"Well, I just get bored. You are always either with Theo and Noah, in class or in your room," Miles looked down at the carpet, silence filled the air.  Miles spent the majority of his time either home alone playing video games or hanging out with his friends on occasion. Miles loved hanging out with his friends and playing video games but there was always that empty feeling that always lingered. When he'd see his friend Patton's brother playing football with them. Or Tyler who's tomboy sister would occasionally join in on the small games. He liked hanging out with them, but they weren't his brother. Miles missed hanging out with his brother. Skateboarding and playing sports. It was something that they'd done all the time when they were younger, but now it seemed as though Adrian was slowly shutting him out. Adrian felt like crap. He could see what this was doing to him, and to his relationship with his brother and friends. There was just no way he could fix it. Adrian was stuck, from protecting his brother to pushing him away. 

"Look," Adrian sighed and rubbed his face. He didn't know what to say, he couldn't make it better by saying anything. He could lie and say that he would try, but lying to Miles was something he couldn't bring himself to do. "How about this, tonight when I get out of my lessons. We will sit on the couch, talk, play video games and stuff our faces with junk until midnight. How does that sound?"

Miles glanced at his brother, he could tell that his brother was trying but it was always a game of chance with them. Either they would or they wouldn't. There was always something that could get in the way of their plans. 

Miles grinned and exhaled. "Awesome! Now let's go before I become someone's belt made of skin." The teenager joked and opened the door, Adrian chucked and followed behind. 

"How much do you think that belt would cost? I could use a new belt." 

"Oh shut up!" The boys laughed as they entered the car. 

A/N: I'm sorry it's short, I'm an online college student and sometimes my work can pile up but I will be updating around Friday or Sunday! Thank you for reading <3