1.1

CHAPTER 1.
"My Fear Tower Of Terror Was Justified"

If Cindy Moon were able to list all the things that could go wrong in a day, she would've never left the safety of her bed

If Cindy Moon were able to list all the things that could go wrong in a day, she would've never left the safety of her bed. If she had listened to the sudden static that had taken over her mind the second she stepped foot in the elevator, she would've stayed with Michelle.

Instead, she was probably going to die, accompanied by who was Flash cradling his trophy like it was a baby, Abe who acted as Cindy's anchor, and Ned with his glowing backpack. Cindy didn't trust what the security lady or what Mr Harrington had said. For the first time in six months, Cindy trusted the pinpricks of anxiety that dug into her arms. They were in serious danger. She would've thrown up if she wasn't already so dazed.

The elevator lurched again, and her senses went crazy. Colors seemed to glow brighter. Every sound flooded her eardrums with a painful boom. Every action sent a shockwave throughout her body. Cindy screamed and held onto Abe's arm tighter than before. The boy's face betrayed his discomfort, but he didn't let go of Cindy. She was glad for the comfort.

Static. She forced herself to think optimistically. They weren't going to die... They couldn't! Static. They had won Nationals— For what? To die when the elevator hit the bottom floor? Static. No, the security lady was right, they were completely safe. Static.

Shouts came from up above, probably from the people on the floor above them. Cindy bit back another scream. The hatch on top of the elevator opened. Cindy's body shuddered alongside the elevators. Static. Even more this time, something was going to go wrong.

The security lady climbed to the top of the elevator, and held out her hand for someone else to take. Abe nudged Cindy forward, and she grabbed onto the lady, allowing herself to be pulled up. The elevator shuddered once more, and Cindy froze midway. Static. Two other security guards grabbed her arms and dragged her to safety. The static peaked, and Cindy stepped back, clutching at her head. She counted the seconds it took for Abe to come up. Static. Liz was about to climb up after Charles, but Flash pushed her out of the way.

"Wait," he shouted. Flash shoved the trophy in the air for someone to take. "Save my trophy!"

"Flash!" Liz yelled, panic and annoyance clear in her voice, "Leave the trophy!"

The elevator shook again. Cindy's hands curled into fists. Static. It wasn't safe. Static.

Flash finally made it to safety, and Cindy glanced behind her, a new feeling taking over the buzzing in her head. Something new, like some sort of impulse.

In the few seconds it took for Cindy to look away, the elevator shook for the last time. The wires snapped, dragging her classmates away from safety. Almost by instinct, Cindy stepped forward. Abe grabbed her by the arm and brought her to the side. Out of the way of another emerging figure that skittered across the floor. Cindy's heart started hammering in her chest, only this time, it didn't feel like adrenaline at all. She recognized the figure, Spider-Man had arrived.