1.5

CHAPTER 5.
"I Can't Do This"

Gwen leaned her head on Cindy's shoulder

Gwen leaned her head on Cindy's shoulder. Her eyes were shut right against the bright lights of Midtown's cafeteria. Cindy was pretty sure she was sleeping, something she wished she could do too.

Unfortunately, two people asleep at a lunch table simply invites trouble. So Cindy decided to keep both eyes open. After she had gotten a small taste of vigilantism on Monday, the days following felt the same as always. Maybe not normal, but not weird in a way Cindy wasn't used to.

"Yo, mind if I sit here?" A voice — MJ's — broke through Cindy's thoughts.

Cindy wordlessly gestured to the open bench in front of her. She raised a brow at the newcomer. "Not sitting with Peter and Ned?"

MJ shrugged, "Eh, felt like a change I guess." She loosely pointed at Gwen, who was still sleeping against Cindy. "Long night for her?"

She bit back a laugh. "It's Gwen — of course it was a long night." Cindy pushed Gwen off her, gently repositioning her head on the table. "Better question is what made it so long."

It was no surprise to MJ or Cindy that Gwen was a bit of a party girl. In Cindy's opinion, she was nothing short of a force of nature. Gwen was wild and strong in a way that made everyone back off with nary a look from her. The way she dressed gained everyone's attention, but it was her attitude that kept them staring. This was a girl who pulled a knife on a couple of seniors when they decided to pick on a baby-faced freshman. A rebel. Cindy's best friend.

Static. Cindy turned around, almost by instinct. Peter Parker. Walking back to his table like there was nothing suspicious about him.

"So... Peter?"

Damn, Cindy forgot how observant MJ can be. Maybe even more troublesome than Al, since she seemed able to catch on to Peter. If she was right, of course.

"Peter..." Cindy drawled out, almost scared to see where this conversation would go.

There was something in MJ's eyes. Misty. Cindy could hear MJ's heart rate picking up.

"Okay so I know it looks like I'm totally a stalker," MJ said, Cindy felt a sinking feeling with every word that left her mouth. "But at least I try to make it less obvious."

Static. Cindy drummed her fingers against the table. "Are you saying I'm watching him? Heh, why would I do that?"

The obvious answer hung silent in the air. You like him.