1.7

CHAPTER SEVEN

New Projects

- - - - -

STARK MANSION

"We shouldn't do this."

Thea quirked an eyebrow when she heard M.I.D.A.S. speak to her through her earpiece. Of course her AI would dislike her decision to pay Tony a visit, since after all, M.I.D.A.S. witnessed firsthand how their relationship had turned out the second Thea activated his programming. He was actively learning, evolving, calculating, evaluating, and so on. There was a part of him that predicted this outcome, that Thea and Tony would eventually talk to each other without setting off World War Three. He didn't have much to use as a means of understanding Tony's new outlook on life and his change in priorities, though he believed Thea would be drawn into the mystery also.

M.I.D.A.S. felt — yes, felt — that he needed to protect his creator from anymore suffering than she had already been through. He was there when she broke down at the news of her parents' passing. He was there watching her build and build until she physically couldn't pick up a screwdriver anymore from severe fatigue. He was there listening to all the times she would question herself, ask herself 'why me?', when those who wished to see her fall hurt her reputation and her parents' legacy. He was always there. And he will continue to be.

"Come on, M.I.D.A.S., would you rather him override your programming again?" Thea chuckled as she drove up the driveway in her BMW. K-9 was in the passenger seat, sticking his head out the window. She chuckled just looking at the mechanical pooch extend his titanium tongue out.

"No." M.I.D.A.S. answered firmly, then, his tone softened, "And thank you for the upgrade once again, Thea. I'm sure Stark won't be able to get through in the future."

"You're very welcome." Thea smiled, circling around the driveway in front of the mansion and turning off the ignition. Before she could even step out of her car, the front door opened and out walked Pepper. J.A.R.V.I.S. had alerted her of an incoming guest, and the assistant had been told Apollo might stop by.

Pepper smiled warmly as Thea approached her, clasping her hands in front of her loosely. She had been actively keeping in touch with Lara throughout Thea's search for Tony, and to say she was grateful to the Apollo for bringing her boss back was a huge understatement. Despite knowing how the two geniuses used to act around each other, she suspected this time around, things would be different between them. "Afternoon, Thea. Tony's been expecting you." Pepper greeted, showing her inside.

"Hey, Pepper. Futurist said so himself, huh?" Thea questioned, following Pepper inside the mansion. She raised an eyebrow when she noticed many welcome back gifts sitting abandoned in the corner of the hallway. There were a lot of cards, even a few stuffed animals. K-9 spotted a feline figure and he snarled at the Hello Kitty doll, lowering his torso in an aggressive manner.

Pepper glanced at the dog, perplexed at his actions.

"K-9, it's just a toy." Thea whispered, patting her thigh so he would stick to her side. K-9 abandoned his violent tendencies and retracted away from the toy, settling up next to his owner. He tilted his head at Pepper as she did the same.

"Sorry." Thea apologised, smiling.

"That's okay." Pepper dismissed.

"Greetings, Althea Apollo." Thea looked up when she heard J.A.R.V.I.S. speak through Tony's internal house speakers. She smirked slyly when he continued on in a cool manner. "M.I.D.A.S."