1.10

CHAPTER TEN

Heart to Arc Reactor

- - - - -

APOLLO MANSION

Thea couldn't stop thinking about the party.

More specifically, what happened after the party. Stane had approached her questioning how she was able to locate Tony in such a difficult place. Thea hadn't revealed to him of the wonderful ways of Atlas, and wasn't planning to share it with anyone just yet. She wasn't surprised by Obadiah's behaviour. He was always someone who wanted more than he already had. He represented the dark side of businessmen. He was a greedy man with cruel intentions. It seemed as if she was the only one in the entire world who could see that. He did a brilliant job at pretending to be a man of business and morality, showing the public he always had been a concerned citizen of the United States.

Thea wasn't sure how deep his corruption spread within Tony's company. She had to guess he was behind everything from the point where Tony was kidnapped and tortured. Maybe it even went much further back. Could be years or decades. There could be a whole bunch of men under his influence working alongside Tony, posing as good employees who were really there to keep an eye and ear on him.

Thea kept on turning over the phone she had in her hands. She wanted to call someone about this. About Stane. She wasn't quite sure who. Who would be of help with this current situation? Who would be able to work on her suspicions quietly? Then it clicked. A name popped into mind and she found the contact number in her phone. She stood up and pressed the ringing mobile against her ear. While it rang, Thea walked up to her workspace for privacy. M.I.D.A.S. lit up the room for her the moment she stepped inside and dimmed the wall of windows. Thea sat on the edge of her desk filled with papers and foam models of mini Helicarriers. She picked one and held it up, eyeing it as the line connected.

"This is Fury."

"Director, I have something important to tell you."

"What is it?"

"It's about Stark's time in captivity. And I think I know the person behind it. Are you familiar with Obadiah Stane?"

"I know that he works with Tony. What I don't know is what makes you think he's behind Stark's kidnapping."

"Stane has always been jealous of Tony's position in the company. He had a limited time to run the place before Tony came and took it all back. And after the charity ball last night, he was asking me all types of questions. He wanted to know how I found Tony in the desert, and with the way it sounded... Fury, I'm worried about what Obadiah might do now that the cats out of the bag."

"If what you're saying is true, then why is Tony still alive? Why would Stane risk going through all of that if his enemy is still in the game?"

"Maybe Tony talked his way out of being assassinated?" Thea suggested.

"I'm not a fan of working on maybes." Nick then sighed, "But I will look into it. I'll have some of my men keep an eye on Stane, and Thea, I want you to stay as far away from him as possible. He'll see you as a threat and could do to you what he couldn't to Tony. As soon as there's any information, you'll be the first I call."

"Thank you, Director."

"I'll update you soon."

Thea dropped her hand and clicked her phone off. She threw it behind her on the desk and listened as it scuttled about on the glass surface. She leaned forward and put her head in her hands, letting out a groan. M.I.D.A.S. alerted her with a chorus of beeps.