World Champion Struggles

DISCLAIMER:
Beyblade + Characters © Aoki Takao
Jade Tomei © Jade-55
Plot © mysticwater

AN: I have bigger plans for this fic than originally anticipated. Big changes are coming for Hilary!

OWTF

~~~~~~~~~~~

World Champion Struggles

~~~~~~~~~

"Happy birthday!"

"How does it feel to be number one?"

"Isn't this the best birthday ever?!"

"I guess you're not an amateur anymore?"

"Congrats, World Champ!"

Hilary was overwhelmed.

The Battle of the Sexes after-party was in full swing, and so was her promised birthday celebration. Mariah and the girls had set up banners and balloons - congratulating the birthday girl. But she had more to celebrate than just her birthday tonight. She was the new World Champion.

Albeit unofficial, it was evident the beybladeing community saw her in a new light. Well, most of them.

While everyone was partying and laughing, drinking and dancing - Tyson was pulling a "Kai attitude". He stood in the corner of the room, glaring at anyone who congratulated her on the win. She tried her best to ignore him, but it was hard not to notice how all the Blade Breakers were avoiding her now.

Against the laser lights and club music suddenly pumping, she watched as Kenny stuck close to Tyson; he was refusing to look her way, trying his best to keep the sulking bluenette company. She noticed Ming-Ming had pulled Daichi out the room earlier; they had a thing for intense makeout sessions after battles. Ray was across the room, drinking with Lee as he watched over Mariah affectionately. Mariah was jumping to the beat as she and Julia dragged Matilda onto the dance floor. While Max stood near the punch bowl, speaking quietly with Emily. Neither of the boys had bothered to congratulate her win or wish her a Happy Birthday yet.

Of course, Kai was nowhere to be found.

"I am genuinely impressed, Hilary. I never expected you to beat Kai, let alone Tyson." Tala complimented her, wrapping his arm around her shoulder to give her a gentle hug. "You battled with impressively calculated execution." The Blitzkrieg Boys stood around her nodding in agreement. Hilary could only offer him a weak smile in reply, clutching her new infinity pendant, unsure how to respond.

Jade was hugging her next, "I am so proud of you, Hilary!" She snuggled her friend; it had been too long since they last saw each other, she had really missed her. "But I wouldn't leave the hotel if I were you - the reporters and paparazzi just got wind that you beat Tyson! They are all just itching for an interview!" Jade added in warning.

"I still can't believe you actually beat Tyson!" Bryan exclaimed.

"He's been the number one beyblader to challenge for the past 5 years - and you managed to beat him in less than 5 minutes!" Ian could only shake his head in disbelief. Spencer nodded again, sharing his shock.

Hilary blushed at the praise. Something warm stirred in her chest. She felt accomplished. Was this how it felt to be Tyson? Was this why his head was always exploding in ego?

"Indeed, congratulations." A familiar voice broke her thoughts. Hilary looked up to see Hiro standing beside her. He ruffled her hair in affection, something he hadn't done in awhile. "Your training has really paid off. That was a very impressive battle. I've never seen anyone beat Tyson so quickly."