3) Heartbeat

Please, tell me the story
leave out no detail
leave behind all the lies.

Only then I may feel
the truth in your heartbeat
only then I may see
the truth in your eyes.

Elektra's body slammed against the rock and the woman cried out. Jessica just looked where the other woman landed heavily, checking their surroundings; the Hand's warriors were defeated, lying on the ground, unconscious or unable to get up, at last for now. Oliver glanced at the scene around them once more before he headed to the elevator - they were good to go.

So why was Matt's half-face twisted in such a strange grimace?

"We need to go, come on," Matt said as he helped Danny up, patting his arm.

"No complaints here," Jessica huffed, joining Oliver in the cage, followed by Luke and Danny.

Matt was about to join them as well, when Elektra's voice made him stop in his tracks. "Leaving me behind again, Matthew?"

Oliver didn't like her tone; he didn't like what it implied. He wasn't familiar with this woman, didn't know what she was talking about exactly, what had happened in the past between the two of them, but her voice was accusing, very straightforwardly guilting Matt into doing something doubtlessly unwise. Oliver also didn't like what the single note done to the man in the devil costume - the way the lines around his mouth changed, twisting more visibly than before.

"Go," Matt whispered, closing the gate of the elevator cage. Some of their enemies were slowly climbing to their feet - they did have to go.

"We're not leaving you here," Jessica protested immediately, seconded by Danny's "not without you."

Matt shook his head. "I think I can get through to her."

No one liked it; that much was obvious. Jessica's, Danny's and Luke's faces were conflicted, caught between the urge to get the hell out of this hole and not leaving their friend/ally behind. Oliver liked it even less.

"Go, I'm right behind you," Matt assured them and Luke finally pulled the lever, setting the elevator in motion.

"Lying is a sin, Matthew," Oliver heard the woman whisper sweetly, laughter in her voice. "But you would know about that, wouldn't you?"

Yeah, that was it. He made a promise. And he would keep it. Not to mention the elevator seemed to be the only way out of here; Matt was clearly lying - unless there was a superpower he and Vera had forgotten to share. Or unless Matt had another ace in his sleeve, sensing a different way out.

"What are you-" Jessica startled as Oliver jumped over the gate, taking down a man who started climbing up the railing to get to them on his way. He shot another three before he turned his attention to the pair talking nearby.

"Are you done hiding behind your... friends?" Elektra asked mockingly, noticing Oliver with the string of his bow stretched, ready to shoot. "Oh. I guess not. Lower your bow, Merida. This won't hurt me."

Matt winced as if he only registered Oliver's presence when she addressed him. Oliver didn't move an inch, tracing her with his arrow as she moved to the left - he wasn't sure if she was telling the truth and the arrow indeed wouldn't hurt her, but he was willing to give it a shot. If anything, there was always one more explosive arrow in his quiver and two more with the carbon fibre .

Matt raised his chin up in a challenging gesture. "I'm not leaving, Elektra. Not yet."

Truth to be told, Oliver was only slightly comforted by the 'yet'. Then again, it did imply Matt wasn't planning on staying, so...