Chapter 26

You were left breathless. Complete and utterly breathless. Just looking at the path to the opening of the graveyard brought back bad memories, memories of the days that you had shoved in the deepest parts of your memories in hopes of never remembering them. This was never successful, how could it be? You learned to live with for the last six years, but you could never fully erase the suffering of your family in your head. 

As you stood there, wide eyed, Enton chuckled painfully, gazing awkwardly at you. Honestly, you just didn't know how to feel at the moment, was that wrong?

"Look, I didn't mean to make you feel upset or anything, I... here, just follow me." The blue haired male held out his hand, his expression soft and caring. It was clear that his intentions were not to make you upset, he would never anyway, so you met his hands with yours hesitantly, not knowing what to expect. After your hands intertwined, you began to walk forward with no more words exchanged. 

The lump in your throat bobbed as you tried to desperately swallow the feeling, your eyes closed in fear of your own emotions. The problem wasn't going to your dads grave, no, it was the fact that Enton was coming along. The feeling was just so unusual, the only time you had been here with anybody by your side was with your family, and even that felt weird. Mourning together always felt sad, maybe it was because you had the strong urge to be there for the kids so you couldn't find yourself crying in front of them.

Everything was silent, time seemed to stop when you finally stood still in front of your fathers grave. A calming atmosphere covered the grounds, more calming that it had ever felt in the past. Suddenly, you had wished to be back at home, the random need to be alone enveloping you.

"Hey, I took you here for a reason." Enton said quietly, the both of you staring down at the stone that was surrounded by beautiful bright flowers, contrasting the dreary gray that painted the grave. "I... I'll be honest, I feel bad for you. I understand how you feel... mostly at least." He said, giving your hand a light squeeze. 

While looking down at the words written on the stone, your eyes stung. The pain of his last moments replaying in your mind. You could act anytime the same front you put on, nothing bothered you, but being a your dad's grave combined with your loss of friends made you extra emotional. Without thought, you randomly spoke up, your voice soft and pained.

"I was closest with my dad, he was the one who stayed at home to take care of us while my mom went out and made money. He took me shopping, to the movies, anything you could think of while my mom worked, he was my other half." You said honestly, tears pricking at your eyes as you gazed down. You could remember so vividly when you traveled with your dad, he wasn't a person to spend much money, but loved going outside and visiting beautiful sights. 

"He made up for what my mom couldn't give to me, we made good money, but he still seemed to watch our budget, maybe because it was he felt so bad about not working." You let out a pained chuckle, thinking back to the few times where your mom had been back from her business trips. She'd always question him about buying knock offs and such for cheaper prices, you'd laugh about it while you sat as a family, how it should have always been.

"That's back when I had help with the kids, I could actually be a kid too. My mom cared a lot-- she still does, she just can't afford to take off anymore than she does now so it was nice having an adult at the house. I remember when they figured out he had cancer, it was really too late to do anything, they could try but it was useless." Your throat became dry and you remembered the difficult times. "He had been losing weight, losing his appetite, he got nauseous, and his started to become yellow. I had to practically beg him to go to the hospital, and when he did, that's when they figured out he had pancreatic cancer, but again, they discovered it too far late to even really try anything." At this point, tears poured from your eyes as you continued to stare down at his grave, not daring to look at Enton. "The day he died, he told me that he and my mom really loved us, that he couldn't have asked for anything more. My mom wasn't the same after the whole ordeal, taking more time for work on purpose, not wanting to be reminded, it's so obvious. It hurts Enton. I have to be there for the kids, because their own mother can't even do that much." Now you threw your hands over your eyes as tears spilled from them, you could care less about his presence now, you couldn't hold it in anymore. Years of hurt, confusion, and frustration poured from your sockets, long overdue.