43 - It is just friends thing

Saira's POV:-

Apparently, we reached Rahil's house on time. After parking the bike, he told me to go inside through front gate. He himself went through back entrance. I was too occupied in my mind to ask why we were going through different gates, that's why I just headed towards main gate. As I stepped inside the mansion, I saw hall of people. Women were dressed in most elegant and exclusive designer dresses which I had only seen in magazines or on television, men too were suited in their best. In one corner people from several media houses were standing with mics and cameras. Most of the people were standing in group of three or four, enjoying the party. Some of them looked at me for a second before getting back to their chatting. I will be lying if I say that I saw atleast one of them smiling towards me.

After my eyes got adjusted to all that glam, I started searching for familiar faces in unfamiliar crowd. By familiar faces I meant Uzma, Faizal or Heena. It felt really different from the last time I was there. Holding the gift carefully in my hand, I moved between people who seemed somewhat hostile as if its obvious from my face that I didn't belonged there. Ignoring them, I kept moving until I spotted Heena, Rahil's sister talking with a woman. Luckily, she too saw me and waved before walking up to me.

"Hiii Saira! Wow...look at you. You are looking so pretty." She exclaimed as she hugged me.

As she pulled back, I couldn't help myself admiring her. She was looking gorgeous in peach gown and pinned up hair.

"Thank you dear...Umm...Can you please tell me where should I keep this?" I asked her motioning my head towards the gift.

"Ooh....You got present for bhai? Why I am not surprised? Its so romantic....but just to warn you in advance, he don't like to celebrate his birthday and this particular event is not to celebrate that, if he haven't told you yet..." She pouted innocently.

"I am aware that he doesn't like celebrating his birthday,...but trust me he will accept this. Don't worry and by the way...there is no romantic angle going on here. It is just friends thing between him and me." I stated.

"Yeah... yeah...of course." She grinned. "Anyway, I know exactly the place where you can keep this. Go upstairs...you already know where my room is.. don't you?" She asked to which I simply nodded. Meanwhile, in that moment I saw Rahil coming downstairs with Faizal. My eyes met his and time froze for few seconds for me.

"So...I was saying that go to the room adjacent to mine and keep it there...okay? Saira...are you even listening?" Heena voice snapped me out of my daze.

"Yup...Thanks a lot." I said before I walked towards stairs.

******

I easily found the room which Heena told me about. I pushed opened the door. As I entered there, I was welcomed by familiar scent of cologne I was so used to now. This had to be Rahil's room. The first thought which came into my mind was to leave immediately as it isn't right to go in someone's room without permission but then, I thought although not Rahil, but his sister had given me permission. A smile appeared on my lips knowing I was in the room of guy I was so in love with. It was like knowing him little more closely. I looked around. The room was exact opposite of Heena's room. Devoid of Colors. Grey and black dominated the room. There wasn't much furniture. Just a king sized bed, a big mirror and in- built wall cabinet, that also four in a row. Another door was there, which I guessed was an attached bathroom. On wall there was one painting which I was sure to be one of his mother's work. I walked towards his bed before carefully keeping gift on it. On the side table, there was a photo frame, with picture of his mother. I sat on the bed before taking it in my hand to look closely.

"Nice to meet you aunty... Although, we never got chance to know each other, but as much as I have heard about you from others, mostly from Rahil and nani, I can say one thing...you inspire me so much. Both Heena and Rahil are so kind to me. I am sure if you would be here, you would be so proud of them. Apart from that, there is one secret I want to share with you. Being his mother you have right to know about it. Actually, I like your son. I don't know how or since when. The thing is I don't know if he likes me in that manner or not. I don't want to spoil our friendship because of this. So, I have just two options.. one is either wait for him to like me in that way or to completely distance myself from him. Believe me, I tried working on the second one..but now, I have left it to the time.." I confessed with heavy heart before keeping the photo back on its place.