7

"I'm not gonna bother explaining everything because most of it is absolutely none of your business, but the gist is I've been trying to escape this godforsaken game for 7 years and...nada. So..." he paused, looking almost embarrassed. "I...kind of hacked the eBay algorithm and got an ad out. I'm guessing that's what you saw?"

"You call that drug trip an ad?"

"Do you think I'm a corporate master, Avery? It was the best I could do to get someone's attention. Someone intelligent, and resourceful, and compassionate. I've now come to the understanding that you are none of those."

"Hey!"

"Kidding. A little bit. You weren't playing around when you entered 'douche,' were you?"

I thought. "No comment. Carry on."

"...anyway, I don't really know how much I can add besides that. I just need to leave. Like, imagine you're still in high school."

"I am still in high school."

"Whatever. But instead of four years, its been stretched to god knows how long and there are other kids who've graduated, and lived, and did all that fun stuff like eating, biking, video games, you name it."

As I processed this, I decided not to point out the fact that he literally lived inside a video game for the sake of his remaining sanity.

"Well...what if I just destroyed the cartridge. Like the other guy did." I raised an eyebrow and leaned back into the couch. Ben's form seemed to flicker, and he donned a pained expression.

"Well, that just wouldn't help anyone, now would it?"

"Why not? Wouldn't you be free?"

He sighed and narrowed his eyes at me, gesturing around.

"Where do you think I am right now. Take a wild guess."

I thought for a little bit, not exactly sure what he meant. Then it hit me.

"Oh."

"Yeah. You getting it now?"

"You just move. You can't really disappear."

"This?" He twirled a finger in the air. "It's just a new game. The old cartridge, it's gone. He really burned it, somehow. This is my new home now." He lazily fell back and seemed to sit on thin air, crossing his legs nonchalantly. His eyes flickered to the side.

"It doesn't fix anything to destroy whatever I'm in. It just hurts everyone. I'm not free, and someone else has to suffer for it. At least, that's how it's always been up until now."

I raised both eyebrows, now paying attention. "So...you're planning on doing something different now, is what you mean. Different than what you've been doing to everyone these days."

"I'm really tired of being stuck here, Avery. Seven years, it...it does things to you. I've been trying the same thing for so long. I just want to leave."

I pursed my lips, and after a moment closed my eyes, nodding comprehensively.

"...and what if I have no reason to trust you, literal murderous ghost. I mean..." I scoffed to myself, finally fully realizing what I'd just gotten myself into. "...I just got this game because I knew that I couldn't trust anyone else to have it. I almost...wanted to protect you." I raised my eyebrows at him like we were talking over coffee and a breakfast sandwich. "You kill people, dude. From what I've seen, you tricked thousands of people into setting you free. Now, I have a shitton of question about that part alone, but I won't get into it."

Ben raised his eyebrows in return, almost looking hurt. "You...well, yeah. You don't have any reason to trust me. I get it. But the thing is here, neither of us have a choice. Just because you're holding my prison doesn't mean I have no control."

"I am on my knees, begging to differ."

"Well, don't. My point is that we could both help each other. But you kind of have to help me more."

I paused. "What do you mean, we could both help each other? What do I get out of this?"

"Well, just about how many friends do you have right now?"

"Tons," I lied.

"Please tell me you're joking."

"Stalker."

"Avery, we both really don't have time for this. Will you at least try to help me, or not?"

"I mean, sure but--"

"Great."

The room turned pitch black and Ben was gone in a hurry.

"...but I'm not sure how I can..."