Miraculous: Musings on the Shippings

Miraculous is a great show, okay? It might be for children younger than I am, but it appeals to me in the same way Charmed or Buffy: The Vampire Slayer or Practical Magic does. This focuses on the Adrien/Kagami, Adrien/Marinette, and Marinette/Luka. I probably focused this children's TV show too much on a more realistic point of view than I probably should have. 

    I am a Adriennette shipper all the way. Okay? They are perfect for each other, especially with them being partners. There's also the upside of both of them being super heroes, so they'd understand why the other randomly disappears, and because they are super hero partners, they can also spend more time together, even if its just patrolling and fighting bad guys together.

     That being said, Marinette needs to change. As does Adrien in some ways. This is also why I like that Tikki is Marinette's Miraculous and Plagg is Adrien's. When Marinette first got Tikki, she wasn't confident. She needs that confidence boost that Tikki can give, that her parents can't. Not to say that Marinette's parents aren't totally amazing, because they are. But if your parents tell you your beautiful or that you are a great person, it's totally different than hearing it from someone else. From someone who can be insecure, hearing my mom tell me I'm beautiful or that I sing great, doesn't mean much to me. Even though my mom means the world to me, there's always going to be that voice in the back of my head that reminds me that other people don't think so. And I've experienced someone telling me that my voice isn't really that great, so I know its true on some level, no matter how much my mom tells me that she was just jealous. It still came from a girl my age, one who exudes confidence and although she can be rude and dramatic, she's still a normal teenage girl and she thinks I don't sing good. So, I know that Marinette hearing from her parents that she's a great girl, doesn't mean as much as from, say, Adrien or Alya. 
       And Adrien needed someone who was laid back. He needed someone who didn't expect perfection from him, like his dad and all his 'fans' expect from him. And okay, there are probably some people who think he's human, but actually applying this logic to someone famous, is difficult and requires for basically no bias. For anyone whose seen Iron Man, can see this. Tony Stark quits the weapons industry, and everyone basically tells him that that's not okay. We see this in the real world too. People hate Taylor Swift because she always writes song about her (ex)boyfriends. When yeah, okay it can get frustrating, but its good (or Okay if it's not your type of music) music, there's really no reason to hate her for it. (A/N Just to be clear, I don't really have a firm handle on celebrities. I can't tell you anything about the Kardishian (Is that how you spell their name?) family besides there is aLOT of them and I think there's one named Kim? and one who has a lipstick/lipgloss, or-whatever-is-called, brand. So, if something's wrong or something, let me know.) But back to my point, basically, everyone expects him to be perfect and this is why he needs someone like Plagg. As frustrating as he can be, you can tell Adrien adores his Kwami. And okay, I'll give that Nino and Alya and Marinette don't expect things from him. But, technically, they do. Marinette expects Adrien to be kind and all around perfect and doesn't see any flaws in him. Alya, although better, does expect on some level for him to be rich and wear basically only the best. Nino is probably the only one who doesn't expect too much from him. But, there are things that could be there that I missed, so *shrugs*.
       And that's why I love the Miraculous that was given to each of the superheroes. 

    But, my original point is made. They both need to change a bit before they're ready for each other. Which is why I think that Kagami is perfect for a first relationship for Adrien. Kagami and Adrien both understand each other on some level. Both come from family's that expect perfection from them and although I haven't seen much of Kagami (I have to watch episodes from Netflix, which takes forever to get a finished season), I haven't seen a friend for her. Which is another thing they have in common. Adrien's only relationship before starting to school were basically his bosses, his dad, his dad's assistant who I can't remember the name of right now, other models, and Chloe. His dad expects perfection, his dad's assistant has a professional relationship (but we see she does care for him during the episode of the Bubbler.), his bosses..... do I really need to explain?, and Chloe (whose manipulative and cruel, but she does have her moments, but they still are few and far between.) Kagami and Adrien can figure out how healthy romantic relationships work. And, really, this next thought seems cruel. It won't matter if their relationship fails while learning how they work healthily. Because then Adrien would know how relationships work. They are only in High School, Adrien won't love or even like like Kagami forever. He'll eventually move on and so will Kagami. And with how relationships work under his belt, and him slightly more grown from his breakup with Kagami, it'd be good for his relationship with Marinette. God that sounds sooo cruel and bad, but its also the truth. There aren't many high school relationships that last until they die. 

      On the other side of the Adrinette ship, there's Marinette. Who, from what we can tell, is experiencing her first crush. And, when you really think about it, Marinette's other romantic 'relationships' (Can they be technically counted as relationships?) haven't been the most healthy. What I assume to be Marinette's first date (with the Evillustrator(Which on a side note, I felt so bad for Nathanael, poor guy had a crush on Marinette and she totally, heartlessly hurt him without much thought), she was really manipulating the situations (for a great reason mind you, but it was still manipulating the situation), her first kiss (or from what I think is her first kiss counting we haven't seen any other past love interest where she's been kissed romantically) was to bring Chat Noir back after being shot by Dark Cupid. She needs to learn that romantic relationships, don't work like that. Now, I'm not saying or even implying she'd be abusive, not at all. But I am saying that without the basis of a good relationship under either of their belts, it can turn bad really fast. Whether on purpose or accident.
      But, not only that, she also needs the confidence to handle Adrien's job as a model. Adrien isn't going to be able to go on many dates with Marinette, especially with Adrien's packed schedule. He won't see her everyday, unless in class. But that's not exactly the best place for a romantic relationship. She needs to be confident enough to see Adrien with gorgeous models and all of the fangirls. We know she needs this, because there were several times when her insecurity and jealousy effected the way she did things. Volpina and The Bubbler are examples that come to mind, The Bubbler had Chloe with trying to kiss Adrien and instead of ignoring her insecurity and jealousy to deal with the Bubbler like she should've, she used her Lucky Charm to replace the CD/Disk/Record (or whatever's its called.) Which this can totally be just the author's and director's way to reveal the time limit thing that I can't remember at the moment. Please don't ask me to get into the entire Volpina incident. That entire thing was just a mess, and the only reason I even like the episode a little is because it shows more clearly that Marinette is human. But, my point still stands. Marinette can't go into a jealous fit when she sees girls flirting with Adrien. It's going to happen, let's be honest. Adrien's a good guy, but other people don't care about that. They care more about how rich he is and how big of a celebrity he is. And some people will care about all three. Marinette can not throw the jealous fits she threw in the episodes above. It can lead to all sorts of problems and it will honestly hurt Adrien more than anything. She needs to be able to handle Adrien's world, as well as the paparazzi that will surely stalk her because she's dating Adrien. AND, now that I'm writing this out, she also needs to handle the pressure that is going to come. Girls are going to hate her for dating Adrien, Adrien's dad is probably going to be less than understanding unless Adrien shows he loves Marinette just as Gabriel Agreste loves his wife, Emilie. And even then, Gabriel is not likely to believe that he actually loves Marinette unless he does something big, like look his father in the face and tells him he'll keep dating Marinette, and it won't matter if he locks Adrien away like he did before.
      This is where Luka comes in, Luka is nice and laidback. In a way that Marinette really isn't. He's also way more relaxed than Marinette can be (because I mean, seriously? Marinette balances school, Class President, being a great friend, and being Ladybug, there's no way she could relax as much as he is.) He could give Marinette the change she needs to be a great girlfriend to Adrien and not just another fangirl, (because, technically, that is what she is. Especially at first.) Luka can get Marinette to relax and accept herself, and, although, he could do that as her friend, but I think it'd have a bigger impact if they were dating. And, it's also give Marinette the chance to see how a relationship should work. Gives her the experience to be able to tell Adrien if she likes or doesn't like something. And the same goes for Adrien and Kagami.

      On another side note, I also don't think they could date each other right away, especially if they reveal themselves to each other. Marinette thinks of Chat Noir as a flirty, pun-loving friend and Adrien thinks of Marinette as one of his shy friend. They'd need to get over that obstacle before they ever date each other.

       This all being said, I support Adrinette, all the way. And, this being a show more for kid's than people my age, the probability is that all reality is going to be thrown out the window and put in a few problems, but they unrealistically work out in the end.