Chapter 22- The Set Up

* Author's Note:

This chapter will be a little short, only because I wanted to add a fun little chapter about Vito and the mystery girl meeting up. Enjoy!

Vito POV (surprise!)

'Ugh, another party...'  I roll my eyes as I step out of my black Range Rover. I love being Dante's right hand man, but the strings that come with it, aren't always fun. I love the action, the fighting, the business...but I hate the damn political side of things, like attending these parties. Luna just so happens to love throwing them, and as much as I hate to admit it, Luna is my best friend, so I have to support her. 

As I walk in, I have to give the woman credit, she knows how to throw a fucking party. I found it strange she picked our favorite cafe as the place, but I'm not complaining, at least the casual vibe of the party prevents me from having to wear a suit. 

As I enter, Dante is quick to greet me, and I can instantly tell something's up by the look on his face

As I enter, Dante is quick to greet me, and I can instantly tell something's up by the look on his face. 'Uh oh.'  His look isn't screaming danger, or anger, or anything like that, this is completely something else, a rare look for him, an apologetic one. 

"Vito, man, I'm sorry. She swore me to secrecy." He whispers as he brings me in for a bro hug.

'What the fuck is going on?'

Luna is quick to follow Dante's greeting, and in her 'evil, I know something you don't/I'm up to no good' voice, she says, "hello Vito. So glad you could make it...don't you just LOVE this place." I look her up and down before I cautiously return her hug. Momentarily, I'm distracted when I look at her outfit. Not only can she throw a party, but she can fucking put together an outfit...I've gotta give credit when credit is due. 

 The woman's style is killer, she's always in mostly black, edgy and trendy looking, and appears as dangerous and lethal as she is, but at the same time always looks timeless and feminine. 

"Luna, good to see you, but cut the shit

"Luna, good to see you, but cut the shit. Why are Dante and you acting strange?"

"Ugh, Dante! Of course you gave it away!" Luna accusingly pouts at him, and playfully slaps him on the chest.

"I'm so sorry my love!" Dante holds his hand over his heart as if he feels terribly to have hurt her feelings. I smile at the two of them, I can only hope that one day I have a relationship as wonderful as theirs. They just balance each other out, make each other stronger, trust each other completely, but at the same time, challenge each other, push each other, and are passionate as can be. 

Interrupting me from my thoughts, I see my mystery girl walking our way with a tray of champagne. 

As Luna turns to see what I am staring at, an evil smile breaks out across her face. "Leila! Over here!" She waves the girl over. 'Leila, what a beautiful name.' 

So this is what the party was about, Luna had figured out that the waitress at our favorite lunch spot was the girl I had been crushing on. "You evil genius," I shake my head at her. In return she just smiles innocently. 

"Leila, this is Vito, the man you usually see here eating with me. And you remember my husband, Dante."

I go to shake her hand, before I realize her hands are full with a tray full of drinks. Luna, of course, catches onto this, turning to Dante, "Dante, take the tray from the girl, I want her to meet Vito."

Dante curses under his breath in Italian, then grabs the tray and hands it off to another waiter. 

My heart stops at her blushing cheeks and shy smile. "It's nice to officially meet you Leila, I'm Vito." I shake her hand, fireworks shooting up my arm as our hands connect. I notice she feels the same thing as I do, her cheeks get redder and she inhales sharply. 

Dante smiles warmly down at Luna, before interrupting Leila and I's moment, "I need to take my wife to mingle with some people, you two should get to know each other." 

Luna and Dante make their not-so-subtle exit, and I turn back to the beautiful, small girl in front of me. 

*End of the Night

Leila and I had talked all night, I couldn't get enough of her. I didn't want her to walk to her car alone this late, so I waited for her to get done closing up the cafe. 

"Let me walk you out to your car," I offer.

"Oh, I don't have a car, but I only live a couple blocks from here. I'll be fine." She smiles.

"No, I will drive you home. Now, come with me," I demand, grabbing her hand. When we get to my car, I open the door for her, but she just stands there in shock.

"This, this is your car?!" She's admiring the sleek SUV. 

I just nod, a little confused at her reaction.

She climbs in, and I close her door before walking around and getting in the driver's side. I glance over to see her face amazed, feeling the leather seats, and touching all the electronics. 

"You like?" I smirk.

She just nods her head, hard.

I laugh and drive off in the direction she told me to go. 

As we pull up to her building, I notice a huge change of expression in her face. All of sudden her face tightens, as if she's terrified. We're not in the best part of town, but I'm here so I don't know why she'd be worried to be there. 

"What's wrong?" I ask, concerned. When she notices that I've picked up on her change of demeanor, she plasters on a fake smile. 

"Oh nothing! Just disappointed the ride is over!" 

I can tell she's lying. Just before I can ask her what's wrong, a drunk man comes stumbling out of the building, yelling out her name angrily, searching for her. 

"Um...I've..I..I've got..gotta go!" She nervously unbuckles her seatbelt. I grab her trembling hand.

"Do you know that man? Is that why you're scared to leave the car?"

Her silence gives me the answer I need. I reach over and buckle her back in, put the car in drive, and pull back out onto the street, driving away.

"You're with me now. You will never have to be scared of another person again." I don't take my eyes off the road.

'I will find out her story, and I will protect her.'