Chapter One: Chaos in Walmart

»---- ★ ----«

»---- ★ ----«

The day had been going great, well as great as any day is working at Walmart ...so mediocre. I didn't have anyone ask me where men's underwear was and I didn't have to listen to Rafaela's complaints like usual. The only downside to today was I wasn't even halfway into my shift and my feet were killing me, sending sharp pain into my feet from the hard laminate floor. My other usual complaint was the lighting, but my vision isn't that good to begin with.

I sighed and continued to sweep up the mess from a spilled bag of flour. Why people can't just notify someone is beyond me. Maybe they think by pretending it didn't happen and going on with their day they won't be the one responsible for the mess. It's not like Walmart is gonna make them pay for it anyways. I mean the whole chain of "the everything store" across America has to bring in billions of dollars.

It was just a normal day at Walmart. To be honest I was a little suspicious because an uneventful day is quite rare. Just as I was finishing up with the flour, disaster struck. It sounded as if something exploded at the front of the store. The buzz of the intercom came on, and a scratchy monotonous voice rang in my ears.

"Clean up on aisle five, clean up on aisle five."

I immediately facepalmed which was a mistake because now I have flour all over my face.

»---- ★ ----«

My jaw dropped at the site of the "explosion," well no it really was an explosion. Someone thought it would be a good idea to blow up an inflatable raft...well it blew up alright. The entire shelf had collapsed. Beach balls were now rolling around on the floor with no one to stop them. And I had no idea where to even start.

It was like I saw my life flashing before my eyes and myself rapidly heading into overtime.

"Ohh, you have got one hell of a mess on your hands."

The passersby's words didn't even register in my mind because it was already overheating and about to explode then I would have brain carnage stuck to the insides of my skull.

"Wait, Anika?"

Wait what

"Anika from high school?"

"Me is Anika." I blurted out without thinking what I was saying.

"Oh my gosh girl, I didn't know you were working here. Why didn't you tell me. You used to tell me everything. Where have you been? I thought you were at college?"

Oh, no it's Carissa. I thought that when I left, I left this old cringy high school life behind too."I think you've got the wrong Anika." I said coldly then turned back to collecting the stuff on the floor. How dare she pretend like nothing happened. Like it all can magically disappear because the wimpy best friend Anika is back in town.

"Anika?" Someone else's voice asked.

No, I can't deal with this. Why is everyone showing up all of the sudden? I've been working here a month and they just now think to make an appearance? No, I can't do this right now. "I'm now on break." I quickly say before cupping my face and darting off to the break room.

As I run, the tears just start coming. Old broken memories were brought to light when I thought I had shoved them in the musty attic for good. I had buried the memories only for the pain of the past to be dug up again.

Why does this sort of thing happen to me?

»---- ★ ----«

A/N: and the drama and chaos has already begun ;)