3.

There was a collective gasp in the stands. A breath was held, as the softball captain had slid head first to the plate and landed home, albeit in an awkward looking position. All the players looked at the referee expectantly, and the man thrusted a fist into the air.

"She's safe! Home run!"

Cheers erupted from the grandstands, Himada starting the cheerleaders up once more. A joyful tune played over the cheering, and as the rest of the male baseball team cheered for their friend Fujioka, Abe remained silent and practically on the edge of his seat, a sick feeling in his stomach. His captain, Hanai, sat on his left side, making a serious face as well while the two watched the captain expectantly, still on the ground.

A full minute passed, the girl not moving from her sliding position on the ground. As a hush fell over the crowd, the team's coach rushed onto the field followed by the vice captain, their pitcher Sora Haruno.

Abe clenched his teeth and cursed.

"She's hurt. God damn it, Fujioka!"

The coach and pitcher knelt down to Nami, gingerly rolling her onto her back. There was an audible cry of agony, loud and clear making its way to the stands, as the team captain gripped her limp left arm with her right hand.

Some feedback from the PA system signalled the announcer.

"Number 7, Fujioka has been injured and will be substituted by number 11, Nanami."

"Shit." Hanai held a palm to his forehead, watching some of the team members from the dug out and a medical staff member carry the girl from the field.

"It looks bad...hey---Abe!"

The catcher had abruptly stood from his seat, catching the attention of his teammates. By the time Hanai had called out to him, Takaya was already halfway down the staircase, grumbling to himself.

Abe quickly realized, standing in front of the locker rooms to the dug out, that he really had no ACTUAL reason to be there.

Luckily, it seemed like Coach Mo had caught him out in the crowd and had an idea. She placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder to catch his attention.

"I'll see how's she doing. Wait here."

When Coach Momoe reemerged, Nami had her head hung low, in preparation for the intense glare directed her way from Abe.

Momoe approached Takaya, a dangerous look on her face that said "For God's sake, be nice!" She left without another word.

His head snapped back towards the girl once coach was out of ear shot.

"What the hell were you thinking! Sliding head first to the plate---!"

She flinched, resting her back against the brick wall and continuing to avoid his glance. Abe moved to stand in front of her, fists clenched with his frustration.

"Look at me!" Her eyes trailed upwards slowly to meet the fire in Takaya's green eyes. His eyebrows were furrowed, his expression waivering as he took in her injured form. Her injured arm was in a sling, and the adjacent leg was bent at the knee as she supported herself on the wall.

"Didn't you consider the size of their freakin' catcher?"

"No." She replied, curtly. Nami had straightened her stance, looking ready for a stand off. She wasn't just going to let her friend talk to her with such attitude. Even if it was her very cute crush friend.

"Huh?! C'mon Fujioka, I can't calculate these things for you---"

"I don't need you to, you don't need to be so worried about me." The redhead suddenly snapped back, her own fire now ignited. This took Abe aback, since she never seemed to lose her cool. Then again, he's never done this to her either.

He grit his teeth at her, extending both arms and placing his hands at either side of her head on the brick wall.

"Well maybe I do, okay!? Maybe I don't like seeing you make these stupid mistakes!"

The two were practically forehead to forehead, the catcher's neck craned down due to their difference in height.

"Well you don't have to, you're not my boyfriend!" Nami spat back, her brows bristling with her angry, almost desperate glare.

"I wish I was!"

The words were out of his mouth before he realized it. But as soon as he saw her surprised, blushing expression Takaya knew he had spoke his mind and instantly regret his recklessness. His mouth snapped shut in a fine line, and the anger in their vicinity disappeared. Now...it was just...sexual tension or awkwardness. One or the other.

Nami remained silent and red, turning her head to the side to hide her obvious blush and to escape Takaya's intimidating stare.

But for Takaya, it was really now or never. He already screwed up and revealed his feelings, so ever so gently, he brought himself closer to her head, his heart pounding in his ears. His nose approached the side of her own, and the closeness had Nami turning her face slowly to face him properly. Forehead to forehead.

She still did not protest, constantly switching her glance between his soft expression and his lips, as if waiting for his next move.

Now or never, Abe repeated to himself, closing the gap between them with a smooth motion. Their lips met, the same breathtaking phenomenon passing through them like the first time they had met. Nami was left gasping for air this time, and provided the perfect opportunity for Takaya to adjust himself to help save his sore craning neck.

The catcher rested his entire forearms and elbows against the brick wall, his dangling fingers catching in her curly ponytail and curling locks around them. His chest pressed against hers, no space between them as he caught her lips against his once more. His eyes closed shut, he could feel her lips moving against his, reciprocating the same feelings. Nami's free uninjured arm wrapped around his waist, bringing his body closer, if even possible. Her hand softly caressed his side as they lips pressed together in their own rhythm.

When Takaya had pulled away, he felt the red slowly creeping up his neck towards his cheeks. It was his turn to be bashful, looking off into the distance instead of the girl pinned between his arms.

"Sorry for being an asshole."

Nami chuckled, caressing the side of Takaya's cheek with her uninjured hand as the more composed out of the two. She smiled affectionately at him, earning his softened look once more.

"I know you get worked up, don't apologize."

He lifted himself off of the wall, shuffling his feet beside her.

"Let's go sit down, gotta be careful with that leg of yours." Takaya wrapped an arm around her shoulders, keeping her close to him while he tried to regain his cool. Nami smiled up at him, her free arm wrapping around his waist for balance as they both walked back out towards the stands.