Chapter Eleven

POV Natalie

They've moved me to where I'm always beside Benjamin when I'm not fighting.

He wants to keep an eye on me.

But, I'm now allowed to interfere in a fight I want to be in. Like if one of the contestants is somebody that looks like I can take down.

I'm only using it to save the weak ones.

Until I was told to stop. Now I have to watch as they get beaten, sometimes worse than that.

They made me watch a kid die. They made me watch a kid die. His screams and pleads still ring in my ears, and his face is behind my eyes every time I close my eyes.

It's been who knows how many days since I've seen the sun. Most of the time when I'm not fighting I have the hood up. I'm having trouble recalling what I look like.

Benjamin nudges my shoulder and I stand.

This has become the signal. If he wants me to fight a contestant, he'll nudge me. If I want to fight, I stand.

Cheers erupt for their undefeated new champion.

I jump the balcony and land on the dirt with a whoosh of air.

There are those who challenge me directly just to be reset and fixed before I seriously harm them. Word has gotten around the fighters pretty quickly.

When I stand, I look at who I'm supposed to be fighting.

Tall. Lean. Experienced. Fast. Weak.

Reset:
- Neck
- Right arm
- Feet

This is now how my thoughts come and go in the ring. No more than three words per thought.

He looks me over, then gets down to fight. I do the same with my eyes trained on him.

Target.

Otherwise saying not to let my eyes stray from him.

He charges, I pause.

Wait.

The distance is closing fast, I notice a blade in his right hand.

Wait.

He jumps off the ground and is above me, aiming the knife.

Put on a show.

I slide back and back flip, my foot clocking him in the jaw.

Neck done.

He falls onto the ground with a thud that knocks all the air out of his lungs. I race towards the gasping figure.

He manages to roll over onto his knees. I grab his shoulder as I jump over him and flip him over my head.

Click, snap.

Arm done.

He cries out and grabs his shoulder as he stumbles away from me.

There's a look in his eyes that I know all too well. It's in all the fighter's eyes now.

Fear.

I lunge before he can regain balance and slip my feet below his knee, kicking him back to the ground.

SNAP.

Feet done.

Finish.

I do a slow circle around him, letting the crowd know I'm about to do my "signature move".