01 ── Summer of '93

• • • • •

kiss with a fist.
chapter one.
summer of '93.

• • • • •

GROSVENOR HOUSE, DORSET JULY 1993

JULY 1993

      SUMMER'S CLOSING DAYS SAT UPON GROSVENOR HILL

      SUMMER'S CLOSING DAYS SAT UPON GROSVENOR HILL. The sun's repugnant rays beat upon and reflected across the surface of the sizeable, cobblestone cottage placed snugly atop the hill, casting the Dorset heat with great vigor across the home's deadened lawn. The hill that drooped when thoroughly ridden with rain stood firm and proud with a texture identical to that of chalk.

      The cloudless sky forboded the storms due the next day, a simple reminder of the calm before the squall. Hues of an invisible rainbow sparkled against the cobalt sea which lapped lazily a few hundred yards beneath Grovesnor House, a simmering reminder of the shades of a quickly receding summer.

      Technically, summer would not cease until late September, nearly October, and though the reproaching heat would certainly support that claim, the harrowing air of Autumn's immediate doors was enough to have the residents of Highcliffe in Dorset, England flocking towards the beaches of the English Channel in an attempt to soak up the last of the July sunrays. The reclined figure of one such inhabitant could be just made out in the blinding sunlight through the paned windows of Grosvenor House, where they laid a few feet beyond where the dried lawn met the golden sand.

      As an avid and true disparager of what most called "laying out", Elle Davies would swear on her life that she wasn't currently relaxed on a wooden lawn chair in a navy blue swimsuit, fully exposed to the harsh glare of the sun in the middle of summer. Would that make her a liar? She didn't particularly mind. An open, half-read copy of her summer reading book, The Handbook of Hippogriff Psychology, rested gently against the mound of sand gathered near her feet alongside a collapsed umbrella, where the two items had been discarded nearly three hours ago in favor of the sun's warmth.